ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Syncing compositions? work over network?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Phillips
Syncing compositions? work over network?
on May 31, 2011 at 9:34:39 pm

I have been using AE on my laptop for a few months, and I finally got a good desktop to run it on. Is there a way to sync compositions so that when I switch computers (ones at home, ones not) the comps and projects will update? they are on the same network, and I don't really want to use an external hard drive

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Syncing compositions? work over network?
on May 31, 2011 at 9:55:20 pm

I don't think the concept of syncing has made it yet to the world of After Effects.
If you keep everything you need in a project in a single folder, I suppose you could copy the folder's contents from one machine to another.

As you're no doubt well aware, I'd be very careful in doing so.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Syncing compositions? work over network?
on Jun 1, 2011 at 1:41:26 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I don't think the concept of syncing has made it yet to the world of After Effects. If you keep everything you need in a project in a single folder, I suppose you could copy the folder's contents from one machine to another."

I move back and forth from the workstation in my office to my laptop on the road pretty often, and this is exactly what I do. I'd recommend setting up a folder structure for your project that keeps all your footage and project files together (as AE does when you Collect files [link]).

On my Macs, I use either ChronoSync or Synk Pro -- both are very powerful and flexibile. When I work on PCs, I use SyncToy, which is relatively simple, but I'm sure you could find another folder sync application with more functionality than it has.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]