ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Gamma Shift assistance needed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon mountneyGamma Shift assistance needed
by on May 31, 2011 at 6:37:57 pm

Hi all, now before someone forwards me over to the Adobe help page, I hope someone can assist me. My renders are coming out considerably lighter when viewed in quicktime player. I have my project colour managed; the Working Space set to HDTV Rec. 709, and my export settings match that profile. As a test I reimported the render back into AE and it looks fine. Why is Quicktime player producing a lighter image? BTW it is rendered in the animation codec, so the h264 fix isn't helping. Now, I know that using an appropriate monitor would be beneficial, but sadly for me, this footage is going to be viewed by people on computers with Quicktime Player, so even if the footage isn't really that washed out in reality, I still need it to match.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Gamma Shift assistance needed
by on May 31, 2011 at 8:31:09 pm

[simon mountney] "Why is Quicktime player producing a lighter image?"

Are you using QuickTime Player X? Does it look better if you use QuickTime Player 7?

There's an Apple support article about adding color profiles to video [link], and it will get you somewhat closer to your intended colors -- but it's not a perfect fix.

Unfortunately, QuickTime color and gamma management is a total disaster. I'm not aware of any method that will allow Animation codec movies to display accurately in QuickTime Player X.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

simon mountneyRe: Gamma Shift assistance needed
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 9:42:50 am

I am using QT 10, but that's just at my end. If I really need to see things better then I can play through VLC, but the files I'm making are being viewed by other people on an assortment of computers with no understanding of adjusting gamma, so I have to assume that their versions will be on default settings. Is there any way to make my AE outputs appear closer to what can be viewed by quicktime?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Gamma Shift assistance needed
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:47:08 pm

[simon mountney] "The files I'm making are being viewed by other people on an assortment of computers with no understanding of adjusting gamma, so I have to assume that their versions will be on default settings"

Do you really want to deliver Animation codec? H.264 should display more consistently.

If you must deliver Animation codec, again, I'm sorry, but I don't think there's a way to get the sort of consistent display you're looking for.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]