ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Going further than 99fps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego MelladoGoing further than 99fps
by on May 31, 2011 at 1:43:51 pm

Hello everybody and thanks in advance for the antention you pay to the posts.
I want to reproduce the Nyquist effect in a video like those LED bar ads on the streets. I do not want to fake it with effects, but try to reproduce it.
If I want to use a 10x10 dot matrix, I need to go through all the 10 columns 24 times per second, so human eye do not appreciate which bars ar on and which off. They all will seem on at the same time.
The point is the following: if I have 10 columns and I have to go throw them all 24 times per second and I can only have one column on per frame, I need, at least, 240frames per second.
It seems AE can reach only 99 frames per second. Any idea on how I cand go further?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Going further than 99fps
by on May 31, 2011 at 2:00:06 pm

AE tops out at 99 fps.

How would you actually display 240 fps video anyway?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Going further than 99fps
by on May 31, 2011 at 2:06:11 pm

Hey Diego, I think it's a playback issue and I guess you can't bypass it. What difference would it make to you if you could create a video like that but no computer would run it.

There's a huge gap between lights being eletronicaly switched on and a machine throughputting video at 240fps.

Return to posts index

Diego MelladoRe: Going further than 99fps
by on May 31, 2011 at 2:14:23 pm

Thanks both of you for your answer. Yeah, I just looked for something not possible :(
I would look for samething to have a similar effect then!

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Tristan NietoRe: Going further than 99fps
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 11:52:53 am

Just a hint that may help,

Whilst you can't go faster than 99fps, you can set keyframes at sub-frame times using the curve editor. So you could theoretically make something flicker at 240fps by keyframing the value 10 times within each frame. Similarly, you could do it with expressions as the value t equals seconds - so 0.0416 is one frame (@24fps), and 0.00416 would be 1/10th of a frame and so on.

One thing to remember is that when working at sub-frame scales, you have to be mindful of the comp's shutter angle and phase, as well as the number of motion blur samples you're working with. Just like how a strobe light that is in sync with a camera shutter appears constantly on, if your sub-frame flickering is in sync with the number of motion samples per frame (taking the shutter settings into account) you're not going to get the effect you might have been aiming for.

Having said all that, you could just make a comp that was 24fps, do all your animation at 1/10th speed and then precomp it and speed it up 1000%

Tristan Nieto
Visual Effects & Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved