ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Clone effect with a moving camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric brown
Clone effect with a moving camera?
on May 30, 2011 at 3:54:59 am

hey, im trying to do an effect for a short where its similar to the clone effect, but the camera is moving around the room. Youtuber, Mysteryguitarman has done this quite a few times, but i just CANNOT figure out how he's doing it. In one of his descriptions he says "double 3d motion tracking and a lot of rotoscoping" but there doesnt seem to be any 3d elements...why would he 3d motion track? am i thinking of the wrong termoninology? any ideas?

here are a couple videos he does the effect in:

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Clone effect with a moving camera?
on May 30, 2011 at 10:13:00 am

3D Tracking or Matchmoving doesn't require the insertion of what we commonly associate as 3D objects. I believe that the first video included 3D tracking, which is to create a camera in AE to mimic the live camera movements. Other than the first image of the main talent, all other subsequent talents were inserted as 3D layers in AE, to allow for these insertions to be believable.

BTW, when the talent walks along the bus, there seems to be an issue with his shadow being cutoff by the bus's side panel.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

eric brown
on May 31, 2011 at 2:32:37 am

thanks for the response, though that still doesnt really make sense to me.. if they motion track it and import it into after effects, i dont see how the footage could possibly match up. it would look like a seperate flat floating clip, thats floating along to the motion of the camera, wouldnt it?

i found another youtuber that has done a similar thing, does anyone think he's on the right track?

i tried to do the same thing he's doing but he's using syntheyes and 3dsmax where im using boujou and maya, both of us are using after effects tho. my only issue is when i tracked it, it exported the camera positions at different orientations then he represents in his video. and it doesnt seem like his method work as good, with a free moving camera.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 31, 2011 at 4:52:04 am

Why would the 'second/insert' shot be floating if it was matchmoved?

The insertion shot can have a variance of up to 10 degrees on angles and on position, I can't provide for a definitive answer but there is some leeway given here but if one were to extrapolate from the variance allowed for rotation matching, the position variance shouldn't be far of.

Take note that for walking shots, the feet are not in view cos that will involve much more accuracy for the second shot.

This can of course be all solved with a motion control camera and a chroma backdrop.

Another trick that is required in AE is to Auto-Orient the insert shot. Further, Maya or Blender is not required as far as I'm concerned. Just a 3D tracker and then back to AE with the 3D track solves.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]