ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Crisp text for broadcast in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rob kendall
Crisp text for broadcast in After Effects
on May 28, 2011 at 11:20:47 am

Hi there,
I'm quite new to After Effects, but am mainly using it to create text for broadcast. I recently noticed that even at full-res and the text layer set to Best quality, the text is a bit pixellated around the edges. This is made even more apparent when adding strokes and drop shadows etc.
Is this normal?? Is the text in After Effects not vector-based? Should I be bringing text in from Photoshop instead to avoid this problem??

Any help is great appreciated!!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Crisp text for broadcast in After Effects
on May 28, 2011 at 2:22:28 pm

What version of AE, what OS, how are you using the text and applying fx? Post a still so that we can see the pixelation and also a still of your setup (Timeline) would be helpful. Text in AE is sharp so I have no answers until I know more about your project.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

rob kendall
on May 28, 2011 at 6:39:53 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm using CS5 on 0SX 10.6.6 but can't post a still until next week. If text in AE is meant to be sharp then there's definitely something going on with my setup!

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 28, 2011 at 8:40:56 pm

Are you just seeing this in the Composition panel or in final output?

If you're just seeing it in the Composition panel, are you viewing the composition zoomed in? Do you have Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction turned on?

What are your Viewer Quality preference settings?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

rob kendall
on May 29, 2011 at 9:27:52 am

Thanks very much for responding Todd! I will double-check my Viewer Quality preference settings when I return to the office. It's true that the text becomes sharp if I turn off Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction and view as square pixels, but my rendered output still has pixellated edges?! I guess this means my render/output settings are causing the problem, even though everything is set to lossless/best quality etc. - any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 29, 2011 at 7:37:34 pm

> It's true that the text becomes sharp if I turn off Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction and view as square pixels, but my rendered output still has pixellated edges?! I guess this means my render/output settings are causing the problem, even though everything is set to lossless/best quality etc. - any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

If everything looks good in the Composition panel but it looks pixelated on output, it's clearly a problem with output settings.

The first two things that leap to mind are 1) the Resolution setting in the render settings and 2) the possibility that you are compressing so much that you're getting blocky output.

Regarding the second possibility---What format and codec are you exporting to?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Adam Duplay
on May 29, 2011 at 10:16:19 pm

What format of "broadcast"? HD progressive, HD interlaced, SD? How are you viewing your final render? Only on your computer monitor or on a broadcast monitor that properly displays your final delivery format?

Adam Duplay

Return to posts index

rob kendall
on May 30, 2011 at 9:46:13 am

Thanks for your responses Todd and Adam. I'll have to double-check everything back at the office. My render settings are full-res, best quality (animation codec) SD PAL, and I'm viewing output on an SD broadcast monitor. Text is sharp in AE only with Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction turned off, but is pixellated on output. I'll have to do more investigation....

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]