ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Colour/color nightmare for exporting. Any ideas?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paddy UglowColour/color nightmare for exporting. Any ideas?
by on May 26, 2011 at 5:33:25 pm

I've been given a pink logo to turn into an ident, which I'll be opening in QuickTime pro (a script will paste it on the beginning of 200 movies and compress them).
My problem is this:
I import the psd graphic into AFX (CS3), set the project settings and the "interpret" settings to adobe rgb, same as the embedded profile, and the colours on screen in after effects match perfectly how it looks in Photoshop.
But HOWEVER I try to export it (File/Export or Make Movie, all kinds of different codecs and settings) the colour on the resulting movie is wrong.
I've also tried making an PSD animation, premiere project, final cut and even iMovie (which was the closest to the right colour!)
I'm using an Apple Mac (10.5)
Can anyone let me know what I need to do?
- Paddy

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Colour/color nightmare for exporting. Any ideas?
by on May 26, 2011 at 5:45:19 pm

Ahhhh CS3, the young days of AEs color managed workflow.

Without going too much into the 'why' have you tried setting your project's profile to sRGB or HDTV? Keep the footage interpreted as Adobe RGB.

The way your colors end up looking is dependent on a lot of factors. Most videos do not store profile information, so they will be assumed to be in the sRGB, HDTV or even SDTV profiles depending on the application you use to view. As a result it's usually best to convert your video's colors to one of those profiles (depending on final usage)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Colour/color nightmare for exporting. Any ideas?
by on May 26, 2011 at 5:51:14 pm

Also you may be able to set the output profile in the output module, but I think that feature may have come later.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Paddy UglowRe: Colour/color nightmare for exporting. Any ideas?
by on May 27, 2011 at 4:52:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I got to the stage of randomly trying profiles in the output module... the closest I got was the pink almost right, but the black turned to gray!
I've been doing more experiments this morning and my colors are goin waaay out! I made a PNG in photoshop (with blocks of color with RGB set to 255/0/0, 0/255/0 and 0/0/255) and put it in After FX and exported to mpeg4 (I'm using MPEG4 (h264) because when QT Pro exports that, the colors stay fairly stable), opened it in QuickTime Pro and took a screen grab, then back into photoshop to sample the color values. Of course, there are several stages there in which colorspace could be messed up, but it's visually obvious the colors have changed.
I also generated the same color blocks in After Effects, which also got changed, but not as much.

Since the actual movie I'm trying to create has a single color, my best bet I think is to use a Channel Arithmetic effect to subtract RGB values to compensat for the incorrect mpeg4 output.

Did you suggest that newer versions of After Effects solve this problem somewhat? I have CS4, but ran into problems with exports not working in Premiere, so I installed the older version.
Thanks for your help
- Paddy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved