ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replaced Footage in After Effects Disappears

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynne BrenimanReplaced Footage in After Effects Disappears
by on May 26, 2011 at 2:53:15 pm

This may be a silly question but I'm Final Cut Studio trained and I have no After Effects experience at all.

My after effects counterpart (who is on vacation) has already edited together a piece. All I need to do is replace a low res clip with a high res clip. I've tried doing the "replace clip" option but all I get after doing that is a blank line.

BEFORE

AFTER

Hopefully these photos uploaded correctly! I'm running on Mac OS X 10.6.7 with CS5.

Thanks for any advice!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Replaced Footage in After Effects Disappears
by on May 26, 2011 at 3:17:34 pm

[Lynne Breniman] "All I need to do is replace a low res clip with a high res clip."

According to the comp, you replaced the "profiting from change" movie with the "roger smith" movie. Is this what you wanted to do?

I also see that the codec for the "roger smith" movie changed in the before and after screen shots.

If you have the original project file, i.e. you haven't saved the current project (in which case you can use the Revert command) or you worked on a duplicate project file, you can start over... and I would recommend it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lynne BrenimanRe: Replaced Footage in After Effects Disappears
by on May 26, 2011 at 3:28:09 pm

Yes... I'm already working on a duplicate project file and yes... I want to replace "profiting from change" with "roger smith." I want to keep the attributes associated with the "profiting for change" file (ie effects, transform, material options, etc...) and apply them to the "roger smith" file.

Thanks for the response!!

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2011 at 4:16:47 pm

[Lynne Breniman] "I want to keep the attributes associated with the "profiting for change" file (ie effects, transform, material options, etc...) and apply them to the "roger smith" file."

Then I don't recommend using the Replace Footage command for this. When you use it, it ALSO respects the previously-applied in and out points. The fact that you don't see the layer in the timeline is a dead giveaway of that happening.

I would instead put the replacement footage in the timeline, trim in and out points as necessary, and then copy & paste in the attributes you want.

Don't overlook the fact that this replacement footage also use the layer above it as a track matte. Proceed slowly, meticulously and cautiously and you should be okay. But use AE's Increment and save command; AE will create a new project file each time you use it. it can be a lifesaver if you mess up: you can go back to the last one you saved.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lynne BrenimanRe: Replaced Footage in After Effects Disappears
by on May 26, 2011 at 7:12:23 pm

Okay... I tried that and the effects copied great. The are three more lines associated with the clip that needs to be copied (Transform, Material Options, and Audio)... I'm not concerned about the audio (hopefully the audio with my new clip will be in there, but the other two... I tried copy/paste on Transform but the numbers don't match the other clip and I don't know how to get Material options to paste in the new clip.

Sorry for the repetitive silly questions... Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2011 at 7:27:24 pm

To isolate the clip attributes that were changed, highlight the original clip and hit uu: that's the u key twice quickly.

If you don't see keyframes, you can copy the numerical data and paste it into the corresponding attribute.

If you DO see keyframes, highlight the attribute itself. All the keyframes will highlight. Copy them. Move the timeline cursor to the FIRST keyframe you encounter in that attribute. Highlight the attribute in the new clip and paste.

What about expressions? Sing out if you see any (numerical values in red instead of black).

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]