ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky MillingMAC FCP to PC AE
by on May 26, 2011 at 1:33:52 pm

LONG STORY SHORT: i have a edited movie (90 minutes plus) on my mac in fcp and i have a pc that is hooked to to a colour corrected monitor. So iam wondering:

What the best way was to get it from FCP on my MAC to After effects on my PC?

is there a way to get it back to FCP with the effects/grading done without the need for export

what programs are good for exporting video (im a mac user by heart so i generally use FCP or Compressor for exporting)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: MAC FCP to PC AE
by on May 26, 2011 at 3:37:49 pm

I use a Mac / FCP at work, and Windows / AE at home. When I export from FCP for use at home, I make ProRes HQ files, which can be read in QT Pro 7.x for Windows. However, you can't WRITE to that codec -- it's a reader only.

So in AE at home, I render to a PNG image sequence, bring it to work, and use QT to open the sequence and export it in QT codec of choice.

You'd better split this epic of yours into scenes as you render the PNG sequence on the Windows box, and you'll need to render each scene to its own folder. There are a finite number of images in an image sequence.

And I hope you have a boatload of portable storage. You'll need it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: MAC FCP to PC AE
by on May 27, 2011 at 1:59:03 am

I do exactly the same thing that Dave does when I work with an editor who uses FCP.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved