ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Staying over a layer with depth sorting.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Marte
Staying over a layer with depth sorting.
on May 22, 2011 at 9:45:41 pm

Now I'll try to make this as clear and rational as I can. What I want to know is, if it's possible for an object to always stay above a layer (they're all 3D layers mind you) but still move as if they're in a 3D layer (proper parallax).
If that confused you then let me try again. I want this 3D object to always stay above the ground which is also 3D, right now, putting it lower makes it go through the ground because of the depth sorting, and this is a problem because I want the object to be on it, but due to it's shape, some of it will either go through the floor, and if I bring it up, it looks like it's floating.

I still want it to be a 3D layer, and when I move the object and the camera, I still want it to move with parallax properly. Is this possible in After Effects? (I have CS5) Thank you in advance, this site has always helped me greatly.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Staying over a layer with depth sorting.
on May 23, 2011 at 12:43:54 am

[Eric Marte] "What I want to know is, if it's possible for an object to always stay above a layer (they're all 3D layers mind you) but still move as if they're in a 3D layer (proper parallax)."

Putting a 2D layer in between the 3D layers will prevent them from being processed together [link], breaking 3D intersections and shadows.

Insert an empty adjustment layer between your two 3D layers, and you'll get exactly the behavior you're looking for.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]