ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

mov files look fine in Quicktime, but jump in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
mov files look fine in Quicktime, but jump in After Effects
on May 20, 2011 at 4:09:44 pm

I downloaded three low res videos yesterday from gettyimages.com the idea is to create some videos to show the client and if approved, then buy the high res files.

The files I downloaded are .mov files, 640 x 360, compressed with Sorenson 3, they are around 1.5 mb. When I look at them in QT 7 or QT 10 they look fine, however when I imported them into After Effects CS5 on Mac, the video jumps randomly, around three or four times per video, one of them got also a corrupted frame, which you can see in the attached link. The image is too low res, but I'm circling the issues to make them more obvious.

screenshot2011-05-20at12.00.49pm.png

At first I thought it was a playback issue, but when I rendered the final files to show the client, the stutter is there too.

Even stranger, sometimes the stutter happens and sometimes it doesn't, and when it does, it occurs at different frames in the timeline.

Any help will be enormously appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: mov files look fine in Quicktime, but jump in After Effects
on May 20, 2011 at 4:18:38 pm

Why do you need AE for this task? I'm scratching my head over that one. Besides, they're low-res, and you can't expect miracles.

If you're on a Mac, and you have Final Cut Suite, try using Compressor to convert the files if necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on May 20, 2011 at 5:23:14 pm

I guess I forgot to explain that part. I did some animation on top of the files, supers, arrows that move around, I tracked some elements, that sort of stuff. That's why I used AE.

They are low res and I'm fully aware that I cannot expect miracles from them, but the original footage (the low res files I got from the website) play fine in Quicktime and the website's preview window, it's only when I import them in AE that they get corrupted.

I don't have Final Cut Suite, more of a Premiere guy myself, I have Adobe Media Encoder though, I can give that one a try.

Thanks for the suggestion and if after this new info you can think of something else messing up my files please let me know.

David.

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on May 20, 2011 at 5:32:33 pm

just an idea.... did you check if your project has the same framerate as your footage?

if not, you might try - rightclicking on your footage in the project window > interpret footage > main > conform to framerate.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 20, 2011 at 5:52:43 pm

There definitely IS the possibility of a frame rate mismatch.

In addition, check the codec of the low-rez footage. If it's something off the wall (e.g. divx), convert it to a REAL codec and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on May 20, 2011 at 6:30:37 pm

Dave, the codec is Sorenson 3, I'm not very informed on which codecs are good and which aren't but I was under the impression that Sorenson is among the accepted ones, am I wrong?

Return to posts index

Philippe Lessard
on May 20, 2011 at 7:45:47 pm

Like Dave said, just reconvert the sorenson to animation codec or whatever lossless codec, should do the trick.You should never work in after effect with long GOP compressed file.

Hope this work

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on May 20, 2011 at 5:58:06 pm

Hey Marc, I did, in fact I dragged the footage to the comp button in order to make sure the frame rate would be the same as the footage. When trying to figure out this I tweaked it manually and tried 24, 23.976 and 30, along with different pixel aspect ratios, the jump is still there.

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on May 20, 2011 at 7:00:31 pm

... just trying random numbers might not fix it. the numbers should match. so you need to compare the framerate of your project and the footage that you use. if they do not match try what I wrote in the other post before.

one last thing i can think of... some codec packs and mediaplayers - especially if combined - tend to mess up your system and cause "jumpy" playback of certain files.
just to be sure you might wanna try to play your movie on a different "clean" machine, maybe with a different media player.
i have seen cases where nothing was wrong with the file... there was just a slight playback issue with certain formats on a specific machine.

...and by the way, pixel aspect ratio should not be an issue.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on May 21, 2011 at 1:41:09 am

It wasn't random, I tried it as a last resort when everything else failed, (sigh) I guess it was random after all. Anyway, I'll re render to a different format to see if that solves the issue.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Hansen
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:00:56 pm

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever resolve the issue?

Frame rates and codecs are not the problem on my end as the project has many clips from the same camera and only one has a mysterious stuttering issue.

frustrating...

- J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]