ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering/Playback issue for SD comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh ReedRendering/Playback issue for SD comp
by on May 18, 2011 at 6:35:44 pm

I am working on a TV commercial which must be SD (720x480, PAR .91). For the comp I am rendering, I used the NTSC DV preset in AE. When I export, the comp in AE looks like it should (with no stretching in either direction). I am rendering out an mov using the h.264 codec. If I open the video in Quicktime 7, it plays fine for me. However, when one of my colleagues opens the same file in Quicktime 10, it looks squished horiztonally. If he opens it up in Quicktime 7, it looks correct like it does for me. What would be causing this difference between players? My main concern and question is how to know which one it will look like when it is broadcast on tv. I can attach a screenshot if that will help. Thanks,

Josh

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Rendering/Playback issue for SD comp
by on May 18, 2011 at 7:33:25 pm

Consider QuickTime X a work-in-progress -- it's not to be trusted. If you have been asked for 720x480, that is what you should deliver.

I'd be more concerned about delivering highly-compressed H.264 for broadcast. Is that what you've been asked to deliver?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering/Playback issue for SD comp
by on May 18, 2011 at 7:38:36 pm

I second both of Walter's points about QTX and the delivery codec. Using H.264 sounds more than a little fishy to me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Josh ReedRe: Rendering/Playback issue for SD comp
by on May 18, 2011 at 8:23:31 pm

Here's the specs I need:

File:
* Format: AVI, MOV, TS (MPEG2 Transport Stream)
* Size: 100MB or less

Video:
* Resolution:
- 720 x 480 @ 29.97fps (NTSC)
- frame aspect ratio: 4:3
- pixel aspect ratio: 0.9
* Codec: AVC H.264 (Main Profile 3.0), MPEG-2 (Main Profile @ Main Level)

Which would you suggest?

Return to posts index

by on May 18, 2011 at 8:24:13 pm

Render lossless out of AE. Use the resulting file in a compression application to convert to the deliver codec.

Is this for a service like DG FastChannel? You may have to get Telestream's Episode or Episode Pro to meet their specs.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Josh ReedRe: Rendering/Playback issue for SD comp
by on May 18, 2011 at 8:25:58 pm

It's for Google's TV ad program. Full specs are here: https://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78641

Thanks for the help guys. I will see what I can do, and not trust what I see with Quicktime X.

Return to posts index

by on May 18, 2011 at 9:48:52 pm

Sorry, but I have no clue what the term, "Google TV Ad" means, and I don't have the time to go looking.

I'm very confused by those specs. 720x480 interlaced video is LOWER field first, but they're asking for UPPER field first.

If I had a Mac, I'd just use Apple's Compressor to make that mpeg 2 transport stream andc be done with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]