ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera Motion Rig with no bezier handles on motion path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Orme DominiqueCamera Motion Rig with no bezier handles on motion path
by on May 17, 2011 at 5:41:41 pm

Hey All,

So I've build a motion rig for a camera in AFX and for some reason I'm not able to get bezier handles in the viewport to adjust direction and the like. I can get bezier easing in the curve editor in the timeline just not direct access to motion path handles in the scene.

I think this may have something to do with the fact that I'm controlling all the motion with a master controller that uses sliders. And perhaps the fact that the actually motion of the camera isn't being directly animated.

That said there must be something I can do to fix this, either in expressions or a setting. Just not having much luck.

Can anyone out there help?

Thanks,

-Orme

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Camera Motion Rig with no bezier handles on motion path
by on May 17, 2011 at 5:58:15 pm

[Orme Dominique] "So I've build a motion rig for a camera in AFX and for some reason I'm not able to get bezier handles in the viewport to adjust direction and the like. I can get bezier easing in the curve editor in the timeline just not direct access to motion path handles in the scene.

I think this may have something to do with the fact that I'm controlling all the motion with a master controller that uses sliders. And perhaps the fact that the actually motion of the camera isn't being directly animated."

I think that's exactly the issue. If your rig's position is linked via expressions to a controller of some type, you won't be able to directly edit it as a motion path.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Orme DominiqueRe: Camera Motion Rig with no bezier handles on motion path
by on May 17, 2011 at 9:40:42 pm

yeah that's what I figured. I what could be done to fix it. Thanks for your support.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Camera Motion Rig with no bezier handles on motion path
by on May 18, 2011 at 4:38:59 am

It's impossible to know exactly how you're controlling your camera with this rig, but if you have it linked to another object's position via expressions or parenting then you just need to edit that object's motion path.

Alternatively if your camera position is being generated entirely in code (you maniac) and you just want to smooth the movement you can probably find a place to use the smooth() function with a fairly large sample time.

You might need to describe the rig you've set up in greater detail if you'd like more effective suggestions!

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2011 at 10:59:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. Its just series of nulls attached in a hierarchy and controlled via linked expressions to master control null that uses sliders. Nothing to complex. I just want to be able to finese things without pulling my hair out.

Sometimes I just wish the camera in AFX worked like the cams in most 3D sofware. Its crazy that such simple thing should cause such head when it comes to control.

Return to posts index

by on May 20, 2011 at 9:24:31 pm

[Orme Dominique] "Thanks for the reply. Its just series of nulls attached in a hierarchy and controlled via linked expressions to master control null that uses sliders. Nothing to complex. I just want to be able to finese things without pulling my hair out."

Usually I would recommend only using expressions if you can't achieve something by some other method. Parenting the camera to a null is a great way to start adding control, but it sounds like you already know that. And if you do parent your camera to a null, you can add the bezier curves to the motion path of the null, or the motion path of the camera (if they are both animated).

However, since you haven't really given anymore information as to what kind of control you're after with your current rig, or how you are currently achieving that control, it makes it difficult to suggest solutions beyond guessing (as I did above).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on May 20, 2011 at 9:55:12 pm

Its very experimental motion, so I'm not sure what I'll want to do with it other than to say that I'll like smooth movement on the dolly and being able to control the easing a lot more. I'm just very used to 3D camera controls and every time I try to move the AFX camera as I would in most in 3D package I find the movement very wonky. I'm used to being able to assign a camera to a path as well as its point of interest and just adjust/animate the path according the movement I'm trying to get.

Basically, I'm flying through a series of images and I need to make both sharp and gradual dolly and jib moves.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Camera Motion Rig with no bezier handles on motion path
by on May 20, 2011 at 10:03:40 pm

[Orme Dominique] "I'm used to being able to assign a camera to a path as well as its point of interest and just adjust/animate the path according the movement I'm trying to get."

You can do that. Ditch the sliders. Create two 3D null objects -- one for point of interest and one for position -- and link the camera's point of interest and position to the nulls' positions.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2011 at 12:32:00 am

[Orme Dominique] "I'm used to being able to assign a camera to a path as well as its point of interest and just adjust/animate the path according the movement I'm trying to get."

This is a pretty good description of the way that I work with cameras in AE.

Have you tried using the 4-Up view and adjusting the motion path of the camera directly? You can set your first position keyframe, set your last position keyframe, then use the pen tool to add intermediate keyframes, adjust bezier handles, change the camera's position or point of interest.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]