ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

keyframes not working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Lawsonkeyframes not working
by on May 17, 2011 at 1:44:32 pm

I'm using FCP 7 and AE CS5 with Popcorn Island's Final Cut 2 After Effects script.
First, I moved my FCP sequence into my AE composition with the Popcorn Island script. This brought the entire 2:30 min video into the composition and made a new layer for each clip from the FCP sequence.

I'm using AE to apply the Sapphire Glint effect to the last 30 seconds of my video. I added the the effect to each layer by following the tutorial and everything was working well. I started by creating a black/white mask under each layer to limit what area of the video layer above would be affected my the glint effect. I animated the mask with keyframes in some of the layers when necessary (transform, position). I did this to 8 layers, spanning only 14 seconds in the composition.

I added the next mask to the next layer and it suddenly no longer worked. When I create a mask, add a keyframe, move forward on the timeline, add a new keyframe, and move some points on the mask... the previous keyframe also changes so that both keyframes have the same mask shape - therefore not animating. The previous 8 mask layers are still working as they were before, but every mask layer I make after the problem began has the same issue.

I tried searching the forums, but didn't find a solution. I tried trimming the composition to the workspace to have fewer layers in the composition - now there are 33 layers including the mask layers. I saw that some recommendations for keyframing problems suggested checking the preferences. I tried to set my prefs to be consistent with the recommendations: turn off OpenGL, set motion path to all keyframes.

Any help would be very appreciated. THANKS! :)
-Lindsay

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: keyframes not working
by on May 17, 2011 at 3:08:17 pm

You may want to do that black-white mask animation stuff in a nested comp rather than in the main comp.

I don't really know that effect, but I bet you're using it as gray scale map to help control the effect, and AE's render order is messing it up. By doing it in a nested comp, you restore the proper render order.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lindsay LawsonRe: keyframes not working
by on May 17, 2011 at 5:02:02 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick response. I was just setting up to make a nested comp as per your suggestion, but I thought I would try a quick test first. I made a new project and made a simple mask on a shape layer, added keyframes, and changed the mask shape on the 2nd keyframe. The same problem is happening here as before. The mask does not animate, as if I didn't make any keyframes.
Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated!

-Lindsay

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: keyframes not working
by on May 17, 2011 at 6:01:53 pm

Ohhhh, you're using SHAPE Layers! I missed that the first time. The only time I deal with them is if I have to... as in when someone's pointing a gun at my head.

If it's all possible in your project, do this in that nestec comp with solids and masks that animate the way you expect them to.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]