ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

competition in the movie/broadcasting industry?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Nguyencompetition in the movie/broadcasting industry?
by on May 17, 2011 at 6:36:15 am

I been reading the occupational handbook and they are saying that there are many competition in the movie/broadcasting industry?
To me it seems like there should be less competition since:

many special effects artist and editors are needed for movies, commercial, local news stations, wedding, ect.

Most majority do not want to learn the software, at my school I only know one other person that uses after effect.

my question is for those that been working in this industry, do you think there are many competition?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: competition in the movie/broadcasting industry?
by on May 17, 2011 at 11:41:22 am

Your handbook is right. There is an incredible amount of young and inexpensive talent entering the industry. The barriers to entry in the market are dropping (in other words, the tools are becoming cheaper, and a one-person shop can do work today that took a whole team a few years ago) -- but pay rates are dropping, too.

There's a lot of good reading on this topic on the Business & Marketing forum, and a few good threads on the Final Cut Pro forum (like this recent thread [link]).

Big VFX studios have been closing their doors left and right, because the effects industry as a whole has had terrible business discipline. They have been slashing margins to unhealthy levels, just trying to keep work flowing through their pipelines, and they've been working on projects with hugely variable (and ballooning) costs on fixed bids. The large VFX studios that are succeeding are opening offices in places where they can claim huge tax incentives or take advantage of lower labor costs.

Google "vfx townhall" or "Lee Stranahan open letter" for some recent history here.

You're right that there is more work than ever being done, and that it requires a lot of talent -- but don't assume that the people in your school represent the broader industry.

If you are choosing your career path based on projected demand, pick healthcare. It's the new plastics.

If you love animation and effects, you can still build a great career in the industry, but I think it requires dedication, continuous learning and self-improvement to stay ahead of the competition, and business savvy.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved