ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DVCPRO export bad quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Thyer
DVCPRO export bad quality
on May 17, 2011 at 6:28:26 am

I've been asked to render a video out to either DVCPRO or DigiBeta, but when I try to render a quicktime file from after effects the quality of DVCPRO is terrible, but rendering with other codecs such as H.264 it is good quality.

Is there any way to make it render better quality DVCPRO?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: DVCPRO export bad quality
on May 17, 2011 at 12:23:23 pm

[Michael Thyer] "I've been asked to render a video out to either DVCPRO or DigiBeta, but when I try to render a quicktime file from after effects the quality of DVCPRO is terrible, but rendering with other codecs such as H.264 it is good quality."

How are you monitoring the footage? If you're in QuickTime Player, do you have the "use high quality video setting when available" option in Preferences checked?

That said, DVCPRO is 25 Mb/s DV, and it's pretty gruesome on graphics. DVCPRO 50 doubles the bit rate and offers much better quality. Can you deliver that?

Also, "DigiBeta" is not a format you can render to. If you are delivering a file to a facility to be laid off to tape, you might be able to provide an uncompressed file, or lightly-compressed files like ProRes or DNxHD.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Thyer
on May 17, 2011 at 12:39:38 pm

Ahh, perfect. thanks that preferences option did the trick.

I'd have to talk to the client about DVCPRO 50, I've also heard about DVCPRO HD; is that something different?

Again, thanks for the help. =)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 17, 2011 at 1:43:16 pm

[Michael Thyer] "Ahh, perfect. thanks that preferences option did the trick."

This is one of my (many) criticisms of QuickTime. High-quality view should be the default in 2011.

[Michael Thyer] "I'd have to talk to the client about DVCPRO 50, I've also heard about DVCPRO HD; is that something different?"

DV/DVCPRO and DVCPRO 50 are standard-definition. DVCPRO HD is high-def, running at up to 100 Mb/s (depending on frame rate) and using anamorphic "thin rasters" -- 920x720 for 1280x720, 1280x1080 for 1080i60, and 1440x1080 for 1080i50.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]