ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need some ideas!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby HrunaNeed some ideas!
by on May 15, 2011 at 11:43:35 pm

Hi guys.
Here's my problem: I'm having a video shot in a Techno club with lots of blinking lights - the lighting almost changes every few frames. I want to use this video for an art project. I need to slow it down (no problem) and I need to get rid of the flickering light. Even if slowed down to 20%, the light is still flickering.
Do you have any idea how to get a more constant light in my video? It may be any drastic FX applied - it doesn't matter.
Things like "Color Stabilizer" or "Reduce Flicker" don't work on this video as it goes from almost all black to almost white all the time.
The video should be as smooth as possible.

Many thanks in advance
Toby

Return to posts index

Anne LawantRe: Need some ideas!
by on May 16, 2011 at 10:14:14 am

What if you just cut out the all black frames? Or would that make the movement too jittery?

Return to posts index

Toby HrunaRe: Need some ideas!
by on May 16, 2011 at 10:56:23 am

Good idea! The jittery movement wouldn't be that much of a problem, however cutting all the frames out manually would be a hell of a work.
Maybe I can code a little program who does something like:
[code]
lastBrightFrame=-1;
for i=0; i if(averageBrightness(i))-1):
frame[i] = lastBrightFrame;
else:
lastBrightFrame=i;
[code]

I'd be very happy if there are alternative ideas.

Here's one that just came to my mind when thinking about it: Convolution of the video with a smooth other video or still image (mathematically speaking a so called smoothing kernel). Is something like that possible in AE?

Thx!
Toby

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Need some ideas!
by on May 17, 2011 at 2:36:08 pm

[Toby Hruna] "Here's one that just came to my mind when thinking about it: Convolution of the video with a smooth other video or still image (mathematically speaking a so called smoothing kernel). Is something like that possible in AE?"

You could look into Pixel Bender [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2011 at 11:17:59 am

[Anne Lawant] "What if you just cut out the all black frames? Or would that make the movement too jittery?"

That's a great approach. A script like pt_Framerestorer [link] might be useful for trying to re-build the missing frames with Timewarp.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Toby HrunaRe: Need some ideas!
by on May 16, 2011 at 4:17:58 pm

I tried cutting some of the black frames, but the results weren't as expected. There are too many black frames and the result was too choppy.

Is there anything like a dynamics compressor for video which works like an audio compressor, but compresses the channels of the video instead.

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2011 at 2:46:38 pm

[Toby Hruna] "Is there anything like a dynamics compressor for video which works like an audio compressor, but compresses the channels of the video instead."

I don't understand precisely what you mean for a video compressor to do or how you expect it would help here. Are you talking about Curves, plus attack and delay? Wouldn't the attack and delay in a compressor be problematic with strobe lighting?

And don't you really want to expand the range, like Auto Levels, Auto Color, or Auto Contrast would do?

If the dark video is really dark and/or the bright video is really bright, I don't really see how you'll be able to get usable footage from it, unless you plan on stylizing it to a very high degree.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]