ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects / trapcode suite rendering extremely slow - frame by frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robert derossoAfter effects / trapcode suite rendering extremely slow - frame by frame
by on May 14, 2011 at 9:08:45 pm

Can anyone please recommend a mac pro which works best with After Effects CS5 and the trapcode 10 suite particular / Form LUX ETC.. I had a mac pro with the 8 core Westmere (8MB RAM) and it took forever to render. It wasn't any faster than my IMAC. I returned the Mac Pro. I recently upgraged my RAM in my Imac to 16 GB and of course it still takes forever. I heard that the six processor MAC Pro is fast, as all the processors work together. Can I please ask what you are using, or at the least, what would render these effects in an efficient manner? in an efficient manner? I also just purchased Cassidy Bisher's templates (20) which are basically unworkable because they render frame by frame. I subscribe to Lynda.com, creative edge as well and all of the pros who are tutoring render in a flash. I called Apple support, as I also have Final Cut Studio and the tech said this is normal. I can't help but be confused because others that I have talked to have said the Mac Pro should not have been that slow. Looking at the Adobe Premiere Pro specs, it seems that they require much less that the processing / memory that I had in the Mac Pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much, Gratefully, Bob

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After effects / trapcode suite rendering extremely slow - frame by frame
by on May 14, 2011 at 10:36:40 pm

It may have something to do with the way you have setup the memory usage for AE. With 8 processing cores and 8GB of RAM, at the minimum recommended 2GB of RAM/processing core setting, AE will end using only 2 processing cores. Check out this link for more info:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/03/performance-tip-dont-oversched.h...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

robert derossoRe: After effects / trapcode suite rendering extremely slow - frame by frame
by on May 14, 2011 at 10:59:35 pm

Thanks for your post. I did try this with the IMAC, but not with the Mac Pro. It doesn't seem to make a difference with the IMAC. I know I will have to step up to the Mac Pro again to get the best performance so I figured I would try to see what specs you are using so I would have a chance to get the desired results. When I try to render a simple explosion using Particular, with nothing else in the comp., it takes forever to render This is the type of composition I am getting bogged down with:http://www.dropdrop.com/templates.php (the second one down on the left)

Thanks for responding

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: After effects / trapcode suite rendering extremely slow - frame by frame
by on May 14, 2011 at 11:22:09 pm

Ted had pointed you in the right direction, Todd provides excellent advice.

I work on a 12 core Mac Pro with 32 GB of RAM, previously I had an 8 core with 16 GB of RAM. The speed on my current system is about 40% faster than my previous one. The newer i7 iMacs are 4 core + 4 virtual cores, though benchmarks show the Westmere Mac Pro's are faster.

After Effects does not perform like a video editing software, it is a compositing/ animation application.

Many factors can slow down renders, some effects are computationally expensive, some projects need to read/write large volumes of data from your hard drive, others need more memory to process. Each of these areas (# of CPUs, CPU speed, Hard Drive speed, available RAM) will affect render times. The rule of thumb (depending on the nature of your composition) is 2-3GB of RAM per Core, so if you use 8 of the 16 cores in the Mac Pro you need 16 - 24 GB of RAM for After Effects. Todd has written that 8 real cores seems to be the optimum.

Its also better to render to a drive other than your boot drive.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After effects / trapcode suite rendering extremely slow - frame by frame
by on May 15, 2011 at 12:18:12 am

[Brian Charles] "After Effects does not perform like a video editing software"

yep... i think you should define 'forever'. ae renders frame by frame (although with 'render multiple frames simultaneously' iguess it's multiple frames by frames) so that's normal, but are you talking about say a 20 second comp taking 10 minutes, 30 min or hours to render?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

robert derossoRe: After effects / trapcode suite rendering extremely slow - frame by frame
by on May 15, 2011 at 4:34:15 pm

Yes, a 10 second comp will take about 10 minutes to render.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After effects / trapcode suite rendering extremely slow - frame by frame
by on May 15, 2011 at 9:53:16 pm

10 min may not be that slow depending on the comp settings and effects.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]