ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

'Ferris Wheel' of comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graeme Moodie'Ferris Wheel' of comps
by on May 13, 2011 at 2:20:36 pm

What would be the best way to create a 3d composition of 10 comps, placed in a 'ferris wheel'-like shape, that could be rotated on its y axis, but all the comps would continue to face forward [ each facing the z axis ] and each one would continue to stay 'upright' [they don't have to swing about like on a real ferris wheel!]
Is this .... easy?

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: 'Ferris Wheel' of comps
by on May 13, 2011 at 2:37:16 pm

I would think you are gonna need to use some expressions for this.

Maybe this will serve as a good starting point, or give you some other ideas to work off of..

8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 18GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 11.5
AE CS5 (
FCP 7.0.3
QT 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: 'Ferris Wheel' of comps
by on May 13, 2011 at 3:21:55 pm

There are some scripts here that automate the process.

Create a 3D Cylinder and set the Auto Orientation property to Towards Camera. Use the Controller Null to rotate the cylinder 90 degrees in Z then animate the X Rotation. You'll need to rotate each layer of the cylinder 90 degrees in Z independent of the Controller to re-orient them to the Comp.

Return to posts index

Graeme MoodieRe: 'Ferris Wheel' of comps
by on May 13, 2011 at 4:30:29 pm

Thanks to both of you - I will look into the link and also try out your suggestion, Brian

Thanks - its appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 'Ferris Wheel' of comps
by on May 13, 2011 at 4:37:19 pm

you could also use an expression for position of the 'cars', leaving rotation completely uneffected:

radius = 100;
period = .5; // number of rotations per second
num = 6; // number of layers to rotate
i = index;
x = value[0];
y = value[1] + Math.sin(2*Math.PI*(period*time+i/num)) * radius;
z = value[2] + Math.cos(2*Math.PI*(period*time+i/num)) * radius;

the layer will rotate around its position, ie, if its initial position is [-540, 860, 0] it will rotate around that point. set num to the number of 'cars' that will rotate. the expression assumes that the the top most layers are the 'car' layers, change i to a unique fixed number between 1 and num, ei, if you have 5 'cars' the value for i could be 1, but no other 'car' layer could use 1, so the next 'car' would be 2, the next 3 and so forth.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved