ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

.mov size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan size
by on May 13, 2011 at 4:51:25 am

This might be a simple issue, but I can't figure it out.

I have a film that I shot in 24p on a Panasonic and edited in iMovie HD. I export clips at the "Full Quality" setting in iMovie (which saves them as a .mov file) and import them into AE.

Now, when they are in AE, the clips are listed at the size of 1440x1080, and they look...shrunken. When I play the clips in Quicktime normally, they look fine (widescreen, etc). But AE squeezes them so that the height and width don't match up right. It looks like when you take a 16:9 clip and set it to 4:3. I don't understand why they are squished after importing. It's driving me nuts.

How do I change the clips, after they have been imported into AE, to their normal 16:9 or 1280x720 size (without losing resolution or quality)?

Please help!! Thank ya!

(I'm using CS5, btw.)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: .mov size
by on May 13, 2011 at 11:15:20 am

Not knowing the exact camera that was used I can only guess that what you have is anamorphic HD at 1440x1080. The PAR (pixel aspect ratio) is 1.333. If you interpret footage correctly in AE so that the PAR is 1.333, then it will look fine when you output it at 1920x1080 (1440 x 1.333 = 1920).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dan AngeloroRe: .mov size
by on May 13, 2011 at 3:51:55 pm

Thanks Tudor, I'll give it a shot!

(The camera I used was the Panasonic HMC-40.)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: .mov size
by on May 16, 2011 at 3:42:25 pm

Try pressing the pixel aspect ratio correction switch on your composition in AE. It'll probably make things look the way you expect.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved