ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anilio SweetWhy=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??
by on May 11, 2011 at 10:23:39 am

Hi Everybody,

I have a question about rendering/workflow.

I have AFX CS3 en i know that my laptop specs are to minor for this kind of work. Hp dualcore T2330 1.6 ghz 2gb ram
But this is what i have for now and got to do with it.

I bought a magazine flipover frome envato, that is 1980 x 1080
It has blur/lensflares/ramps/sound/fastblur see:

http://videohive.net/item/3d-magazine-mockup-bundle/86464

I have adjust it 3 monts ago and the final rendering took about 2hours. But working and adjusting some page and comps was no problem, ram previeu, was also no problem.. took some minutes for 5 sec but previeuw , but that is fine.

Now i have to make another trailer with different moves en pages etc etc, but wit same FX, and i just dont know what happend, it's taken about 15 min just for a ramprevieuw of 10 sec, whitout any fx, i have them al disabled..., and i have it on a quarter the ram preview working and scrolling in timeline goes verry slow.. and adjusting keypoints goes verry slow.. to move.. i have no other program open.

And renderinng the final product = 40 sec with te rendeque thaks op to 17hours ????? and i just not know what happend a didn't make any ajustment in afx or changes in any setting?? But i think that even with my low pc specs this is much much to long to render, and i am sure about that because the previous project with this same items and fx took 2 hours.

Does somebody have this also or could some tell me what to do???
I am used that is goes slow, because of my ram, but now i even cant work, or change any thing without waiting 10/15 min.. to look of is is good now.. going crazy...

Please help!!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Why=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??
by on May 11, 2011 at 12:53:09 pm

This happened to me before when I opened a project that I used twice before and changed parameters and images in it and then try to render again. It took 2hrs instead of 15 min. So it may be a bug in AE- I know this may be a lot of work but it may be that you have to g back to your initial project file and redo the new project from that one.
One more thing: Do you have the latest upgrade for your version of AE?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Anilio SweetRe: Why=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??
by on May 11, 2011 at 1:41:42 pm

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info.

But i al ready did that, i just imported the total file that i bought.
And made the new trailer from scratch.

I did a upgrade only thing that new was the acrobat upgrade. nothing more.

Dont now what els to do!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Why=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??
by on May 11, 2011 at 2:54:16 pm

Do you have multiprocessing enabled by chance? If so, turn it off, you do not have enough RAM for AE to use multiple processors.
Also turn OpenGL off if it's on.
One other thing- Motion Blur- that tends to increase render time heavily, so you may want to turn it off if it's on.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2011 at 3:04:10 pm

Thanks again...

But have done all those things already, ofcourse with the final render i need everything on but 17hours is a little to much i think. But i could live with that if that was the only thing, i would render it out in the night.

But even with al the fx disabled and only a BG and the magazine it takes 10 min to render a ram previeuw of 10 sec.....
and this is what's bothering me more becaus this is no way of working.

Do you know by chance if a usb with readyboost will help improof my performance because i am verry low on memory only 2gb??

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Why=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??
by on May 11, 2011 at 3:25:40 pm

If I understand correctly what you are saying - that the same project that took 2 hours to render is now taking 17 hours on the same machine - it sounds very much like something significant changed about either the computer itself or the AE settings.

As Ted alluded to, the quickest and easiest to address is checking that you haven't changed any AE settings that you may not be entirely familiar with (you do not need and should not use OpenGL or Multiprocessing to render on a machine with such limited resources).

If AE settings are not the issue, then think about everything that is different about the computer now as compared to when the render only took 2 hours. For example, have you since installed various other programs that are using up all the computer's resources while you're trying to render (can be either programs open in the foreground or background processes)?

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: Why=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??
by on May 11, 2011 at 3:38:17 pm

2GB RAM is also not really enough to do 1080 work in any meaningful sense. Or do any advanced or complicated work.

It is possible that previously when it took 15mins there was just enough memory to complete the render, but with your small adjustment you've gone over the limit and AE is swapping to disk which would explain the huge time increase.

It's a possibility anyway. Restart your machine, and try to close absolutely any unneccessary process on your computer.
When you open up AE, don't have the timeline or the comp viewer open, just the render window.
Use pre-rendered proxies for sub comps (and remember to turn on proxies for final render).
There may be a way to make this work in a reasonable amount of time.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2011 at 5:16:42 pm

Thanks for all the info,

I already have done what most of you mentioned.

En i really dont no what the "thing" is thats gooing wrong or diffrent compare with previous render.

Point is.. something is good wrong... evenwithout all the fx and i really mean everything disabled, with only the BG and the magazine without no effects or camera... it takes almost 10 min to ram previeuw 10sec. that is not good... ii will try to only have the just the render window open.

I will alsoo try opening another project... to see if somethings has change...

Thanks any way
Blessings 2 aLL

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Why=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??
by on May 11, 2011 at 11:10:12 pm

Are the images that you're dropping into the template very high resolution (and perhaps higher than the images you used last time)? If so, this may dramatically increase memory requirements. Try lowering the resolution of your source images.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2011 at 11:19:05 am

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the input, i really dont know if this could be te problem,ore part of the problem.
Before i used the new images i used the older one... en they are in size 2480x3508 png and they ar aproxximate between 500 and 800kb per page, do you think this could be a problemn, im sizeing them down to compsize 1980x1080 ??

I"ve now replaced them with te right images, and they are about 2000x1700 but they are jpeg and there weigth is about 1/1.5 mb
Should i change them to smaller / compsize format??
What is the " right" format for using in AFX when working with image?
For now i just need them in te image, wond adjust them , just tos no coller correction or FX..

But the problem is... that even with the first png image when i renderd a ram previeuw it took 10min for 10 sec and when making the first project 3 months ago it did'nt took so long.

Sooo i have no cleu.. but all help is welcome...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Why=Rendering to slow, proxximat 17hours??
by on May 12, 2011 at 3:51:42 pm

[Anilio Sweet] "Before i used the new images i used the older one... en they are in size 2480x3508 png and they ar aproxximate between 500 and 800kb per page, do you think this could be a problemn, im sizeing them down to compsize 1980x1080"

AE doesn't care about the file size or compression. When AE reads an image, it stores it in memory in an uncompressed image buffer, so the pixel dimensions are the only thing that affect the amount of memory it requires. A 2480x3508 layer at 8bpc (with no effects) will require 33.2 MB of memory per frame. A 1920x1080 frame only requires 7.9MB, so scaling images down to the lowest possible raster size before bringing them into AE (or using lower-res proxies) can improve performance.

[Anilio Sweet] "What is the " right" format for using in AFX when working with image?"

There is no "right" image format -- any of the support import formats will work in same way.

As to your performance issues, 2GB is almost impossibly small for HD work, and I assume that this extreme memory limitation is the source of your performance issues.

Let's confirm a few things:
  • You have rebooted your computer recently
  • AE is the ONLY application you've got running
  • Multiprocessing is OFF

It's been a while now since I've used CS3, so please pardon me if I don't get these names exactly right, but what are your "Maximum memory usage" and "Maximum RAM cache sizes" set to in Preferences > Memory & Cache? Decreasing the maximum RAM cache size may help free up some memory for AE while rendering, at the expense of the length of your RAM previews and image caches.

You can also try editing the secret preferences: hold the Shift key while you click Edit > Preferences > General. You should now be able to select the Secret menu. You can set AE to purge RAM every few frames. This decreases performance when more RAM is available, but my increase performance if you're running into RAM constraints.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2011 at 5:37:04 pm

[Walter Soyka] "[Anilio Sweet] "Before i used the new images i used the older one... en they are in size 2480x3508 png and they ar aproxximate between 500 and 800kb per page, do you think this could be a problemn, im sizeing them down to compsize 1980x1080"

AE doesn't care about the file size or compression. When AE reads an image, it stores it in memory in an uncompressed image buffer, so the pixel dimensions are the only thing that affect the amount of memory it requires. A 2480x3508 layer at 8bpc (with no effects) will require 33.2 MB of memory per frame. A 1920x1080 frame only requires 7.9MB, so scaling images down to the lowest possible raster size before bringing them into AE (or using lower-res proxies) can improve performance.

Thank you i've done it and there is a litlle improvement

[Anilio Sweet] "What is the " right" format for using in AFX when working with image?"

There is no "right" image format -- any of the support import formats will work in same way.

OKE

As to your performance issues, 2GB is almost impossibly small for HD work, and I assume that this extreme memory limitation is the source of your performance issues.

Let's confirm a few things:

* You have rebooted your computer recently
(yes, if you mean restarting )
* AE is the ONLY application you've got running
Yes, some times IE/Firefox is also open, but it doesnt't
seems to be a diffrent when its open or not

* Multiprocessing is OFF
YEs

It's been a while now since I've used CS3, so please pardon me if I don't get these names exactly right, but what are your "Maximum memory usage" and "Maximum RAM cache sizes" set to in Preferences > Memory & Cache? Decreasing the maximum RAM cache size may help free up some memory for AE while rendering, at the expense of the length of your RAM previews and image caches.

I dont really understand if you mean this :
AFX hase 1.19 ram (it wont get higher) and i left before o.25 ram
for other applications
I'have change that now into 0.9 ram for other app, and the 1.19
left for AFX doesnt changes it still the same value..
IT indeed decrease the lengt, because now i only can make e ram
preview of 27sec and before it was 40 sec full...

You can also try editing the secret preferences: hold the Shift key while you click Edit > Preferences > General. You should now be able to select the Secret menu. You can set AE to purge RAM every few frames. This decreases performance when more RAM is available, but my increase performance if you're running into RAM constraints."

Yes i allready had done this

Well with al these changes it is al little faster but stil it took
45min to ram previeu the 27sec , so that is not good on a quatere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]