ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particular SciFi Wormhole Effect, (wrapping around Camera path from c4d)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett CelinskiParticular SciFi Wormhole Effect, (wrapping around Camera path from c4d)
by on May 10, 2011 at 9:53:18 pm

Hey Cow. I'm working on an animation in c4d which involves a 3d track twisting through space. I'm rendering that out and compositing it in after effects. I am importing the c4d camera data to ae so I can utilize trapcode particle effects to make nebulas and wormholes.

I get the general idea from this great tutorial: http://maxafter.com/tuts/tunnel/tunnel.html

but I have a few questions.

For the wormhole, I was going to use a combo of either starglow, form and particular plus something like cc cylinder. Is there a way to wrap the particle effects around the motion path of my imported c4d camera data so it acts like the track is going through a tunnel of light? I'm going to try to render out my 3d space track from c4d and comp it in ae so it looks like there's a particle wormhole wrapping around the path.

So, could I either use just the imported camera data, or do I need to import the c4d spline that the camera was aligned to as well? Is there any way to align Particular or any particle effect to a spline/camera path, or would I need to animate that manually?

Now, I know I could instead use spline wrap or sweep nurbs in c4d but I think I can get cooler effects in ae. But say I had to start off with a sweep nurbs tunnel. Would I then be able to map the Particular effects to the walls of this 3d tunnel?

My aim is to be able to combine the awesomeness of particular and other ae effects with my c4d animations. I have not enough time to learn thinking particles in c4d (crunch time here).

I appreciate this forum as always.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Particular SciFi Wormhole Effect, (wrapping around Camera path from c4d)
by on May 10, 2011 at 10:29:00 pm

You can animate a Particle generator on a path if you assign a Light as Emitter.
Here's a couple of interesting ways of achieving 3d tunnels in AE using FreeForm Pro - you'll need to spend some money though to get that one and it may not be in your budget, but Ithought I'll let you know there's an option. You could texture the tunnel with whatever you want in AE.

http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/AE-3D-tunnels-FreeForm-Pro-1/1
http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/AE-3D-tunnels-FreeForm-Pro-2/1

http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/FreeForm-Pro-review/1

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brett CelinskiRe: Particular SciFi Wormhole Effect, (wrapping around Camera path from c4d)
by on May 11, 2011 at 8:01:50 am

Thanks Ted.

When I import the .aec, I notice the camera motion path is rather massive, even when I worked on a small scale in c4d and aligned it to the origin. I am also unable to see the camera's motion path when I select it as the active view.

When I use a light as the emitter, how do I attach it to the path? Can I directly use the motion path or do I need to import a spline from c4d as well?

Return to posts index

Brett CelinskiRe: Particular SciFi Wormhole Effect, (wrapping around Camera path from c4d)
by on May 11, 2011 at 10:45:34 am

Hehe, I believe I've found my answer:

I think what I'm going to do now is start with the original plan of making a sweep nurbs tunnel first in c4d, rendering that out, copypasting the relevant portions of my c4d camera's keyframes onto an ae light's position to make the Particular motion path (the wormhole is only one portion of the whole trip), using a few expressions, and then trying to combine the c4d animation with Particular trickery.

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2011 at 6:43:32 pm

I've hit another snag. I followed that tutorial, but the particles are simply not following the Motion Path. I've even used the expressions. Not sure what to do.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Particular SciFi Wormhole Effect, (wrapping around Camera path from c4d)
by on May 11, 2011 at 11:06:40 am

I'm not sure if this works the same as a path in AE, but you should be able to copy the motion (position/rotation) keyframes from the camera and paste them in the Light layer.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]