ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

multi-machine render problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Kentmulti-machine render problems
by on May 10, 2011 at 7:41:32 pm

We have a multi-machine render network that has been working great for the past 6 months. recently, we took on a project that was a little different than our typical project...

we were provided 1080p HD video as MP4. knowing that after effects in windows really doesn't like MP4, we decided to convert it to a targa sequence and matching wav file (using ffmpeg). this conversion was actually very quick. From there we have built up our after effects project and done a fair bit of editing to the imported targa sequences. now it's time to render...

We set up up our render queue to use the render nodes (output format targa sequence + wav, max machines 5) we collect the files to our file server. we then close our local copy of after effects and open the render engine on the same machine to use its resources along with our other render nodes. here's the problem...

Our edit station picks up the render project just fine, starts working and all looks well. but, a quick look through vnc shows that our render nodes are seeing the project but refusing to start it. they simply restart their interval countdown to look for more available projects.

what's the deal? does AE not like targa sequence SOURCE files in a multi-machine render network? As far as i can tell, that's the only thing different in our recent projects than what we've used in the past.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: multi-machine render problems
by on May 10, 2011 at 10:27:51 pm

[Al Kent] "Our edit station picks up the render project just fine, starts working and all looks well. but, a quick look through vnc shows that our render nodes are seeing the project but refusing to start it. they simply restart their interval countdown to look for more available projects."

That shouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes the render nodes flash a helpful little message before restarting their countdown -- can you catch one?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Al KentRe: multi-machine render problems
by on May 10, 2011 at 10:36:09 pm

after a couple hours of digging around, it turns out that a missing font was the culprit.

arrrg.

a little better error reporting would go along way with errors like that.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: multi-machine render problems
by on May 11, 2011 at 1:46:09 am

[Al Kent] "after a couple hours of digging around, it turns out that a missing font was the culprit."

Oh, that will do it!

[Al Kent] "a little better error reporting would go along way with errors like that."

Out of curiosity, was this error reported in the log?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]