ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blueprint text without drawing lines.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Kaye
Blueprint text without drawing lines.
on May 10, 2011 at 2:27:58 pm

Hey guys,

Is there any way to get a Blueprint type of text without drawing the individual lines (the video copilot way)? I'm trying to make a template, so I I have to do is edit the text and the effect does the rest.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Blueprint text without drawing lines.
on May 10, 2011 at 7:50:50 pm

Ah, a procedural effect would be nice. Andrew Kramer is a fan of such things as evidenced by the stroke tutorial as well as the wall crumbling tutorial. I guess if he knew how to do it for the blueprint tutorial, he would have. I also don't know of any way to do it.
I am assuming you're referring to the "reference lines" that extend past various parts of the text and I know of no way to do it without creating it manually.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on May 10, 2011 at 8:10:09 pm

Michael is correct, there's no simple procedural way to do this in After Effects. If you own Apple's Motion or Live Type there is a Live Font that does it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 11, 2011 at 2:31:57 am

[Brian Kaye] "Is there any way to get a Blueprint type of text without drawing the individual lines (the video copilot way)? I'm trying to make a template, so I I have to do is edit the text and the effect does the rest."

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the entire tutorial, so maybe I'm missing something -- but after watching the final animation at the beginning of the tutorial, I do think it'd be possible to get close to that effect procedurally.

Precomp your text over a solid, apply Find Edges and Invert (to outline the text), then use a high-contrast, still Fractal Noise effect as a luma matte over that layer (to randomly pick points from the letters).

Feed that to Trapcode Starglow with long, animated streaks (to get the diagonal lines), and use that as a luma matte to reveal a texture for the drawn lines.

Personally, I'd probably roll my own live type by hand-animating a single comp for each letter of the alphabet, then inserting and arranging those comps in the final comp instead of using the type tool.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brian Kaye
on May 11, 2011 at 10:03:56 am

Walter,

We're going to have to give that a whirl! Thanks for your detailed reply, I certainly appreciate it. I work in the CAD dept of a major auto mfr and someone got the bright idea to have a weekly web newsletter that has this effect for the animated titles. I'm sure you guys can appreciate how old this will get by hand editing the lines each and every time. Ideally, with a template, I can hand this off to someone with minimal training and move on to bigger and better things. Thanks again...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 11, 2011 at 11:35:39 am

You're welcome, Brian. It's an off-the-cuff suggestion, so I'd love to hear how it works out.

You will probably need to refine the mattes a bit through the process with Minimax, Levels, Median, blurs, etc. Since the effect is randomized by the Fractal Noise, it won't be as well-designed as if you drew the lines by hand, but peraps there are other improvements you can make to improve the look.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]