ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Putting video in an object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Unkenholz
Putting video in an object
on May 9, 2011 at 4:31:26 pm

Hello all my cow friends.... my question is, how can i get video inside my puzzle piece. i've tried putting the video above the alpha jpg puzzle piece then do a transfer mode but nothing is working. the look i want is just simple clean video inside my puzzle piece that will be on top of a background. thx

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Putting video in an object
on May 9, 2011 at 4:43:21 pm

if the 'alpha jpg puzzle piece' is a black and white 'matte' (a white puzzle shape on black), then you can put that layer above the footage layer and then set the footage layer to use the puzzle layer as a trackmatte 'luma matte' -- simpy choose 'luma matte' from the trackmatte options in the 'modes' options for the footage layer.

note: you can toggle the switches/modes panel at the bottom of the timeline. if you don't see either the switches or modes panel in the timeline, then you can show them by clicking the menu dropdown from the upper-right corner of the timeline and choosing columns>modes.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 9, 2011 at 4:48:14 pm

[Daniel Unkenholz] "...I've tried putting the video above the alpha jpg puzzle piece then do a transfer mode but nothing is working..."

I didn't think jpegs could even HAVE an alpha channel. In fact, I've got five whole American dollars that say they can't. That could be your problem.

But if this happens to be a white-on-black jpeg, take heart: you can use the puzzle piece as either a Luma Matte or a Luma Inverted Matte (I forget which) for the video. Once you have the video positioned properly in the puzzle piece you can then parent the video to the puzzle piece, and move the puzzle around on the screen and the video will stay locked to it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Unkenholz
on May 9, 2011 at 4:53:11 pm

you win five bucks.... it's actually a psd layer :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 9, 2011 at 4:57:28 pm

[Daniel Unkenholz] "it's actually a psd layer :)"

...and I hope the Track Matte tyrick works well for you. If you have transparency in the photoshop layer, you can use Alpha Matte or Alpha Inverted matte. Again, I forget which.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daniel Unkenholz
on May 9, 2011 at 5:06:19 pm

Oh YES!!!! it now works. thx and your the man.

Return to posts index

Daniel Unkenholz
on May 9, 2011 at 4:59:43 pm

my puzzle piece is a tan wood grain in look...and when i do a alpha matte the vid turns a a ugly color. will i need to make my puzzle a different color to get the original video color?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 9, 2011 at 5:02:27 pm

You need to turn the Blend Mode off and use it as an alpha matte... so turn off the little eyeball, too. If you want to have a little bit of wood look in the video, duplicate the puzzle piece, put it above the track matte layer, and then do your blend mode voodoo, so you can adjust the opacity, use the levels effect and other goodies.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]