ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing frames from the middle of a composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Schau
Removing frames from the middle of a composition
on May 7, 2011 at 7:40:41 pm

hey folks,
this is something that's been trouble for a long time, and I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas:

I have a composition with 30 layers in it, lots of them have keyframes, lots of them are trimmed to start/stop at different points. Say I want to remove a little chunk from the middle of my comp.

What I WANT to do is just say "remove selected section" and have AE pull everything in front of it back in time accordingly (whether it's keyframes, trimmed layers, whatever).

What I ACTUALLY do is go layer by layer, alt-PageDown for the layers to move, alt-arrow for the keyframes to move, remembering how many frames to shift them. It's a hassle.

Does anyone have a better way? Sorry, this is just not easy to explain!

thanks a lot,
Travis

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Removing frames from the middle of a composition
on May 7, 2011 at 8:24:56 pm

Precompose, duplicate precomp layer and trim one from the end to the in point of the section you want out and the other from the beginning to the out point.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Travis Schau
on May 7, 2011 at 8:30:34 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. That's a good solution late in a project, but I'm hoping to avoid doing that for every little timing tweak.

This same issue comes up if I want to add 10 frames in the middle of a complex composition. First moving trimmed layers forward, then moving keyframes forward. Then making sure I didn't mess anything up. In that case too, I could pre-compose, split, time-remap the first segment and add the frames I wanted. I was hoping there was just a secret hidden "add frames here" button.

I suppose I could avoid this by just never trimming layers (and toggling visiblity with keyframes, time-remapping to control when things should play), but it's so much less confusing to look at with trimmed layers.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 8, 2011 at 6:50:29 pm

See this page for information about extracting and lifting the work area out of a composition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 8, 2011 at 9:37:38 pm

Very cool, had no idea this was possible, thanks for the tip.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]