ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Strange Color for Broadcast

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georgi ParvanovStrange Color for Broadcast
by on May 7, 2011 at 12:36:32 pm

Hi guys,

I have that extremely strange problem which I think has a simple solution but haven't found it yet.

I have e Pal DV 16:9 footage for broadcast imported into After Effects. I'm making standart color correction, nothing over the top. I added some animations which are not over the footage - first goes the recorded footage, then some animation. Everything looks perfect on the PC monitor but when I play the final clip on a TV the footage part looks oversaturated.

The strange thing is that the animation has exactly the same saturation as on my PC monitor but only the footage is oversaturated.

Another strange thing is that even the background I added (the footage was greenscreen shot) looks ok. It's just the recorded stuff that I have problems with.

Any suggestions why this happens? Tried different color spaces etc. but nothing works so far.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Strange Color for Broadcast
by on May 7, 2011 at 6:39:29 pm

First thing, unless you have a high end monitor that is calibrated on a regular basis, you should never trust your computer monitor for color and saturation. You need to preview your work on a broadcast monitor for best results. If you do not have the funds for that, then a HDMI to a regular LCD tv will give you a better idea of your final result, or even a Firewire output will do.
It may be a matter on how your footage is compressed - the graphic elements are created in the computer, no compression, your keyed footage is probably compressed, so when you compress for final delivery they will look different. My suggestion is to look at your footage in Color Finesse and see the saturation of your colors.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Georgi ParvanovRe: Strange Color for Broadcast
by on May 7, 2011 at 7:41:30 pm

Unfortunatley still dont have the funds for the broadcast monitor (which is definitley a good idea). The crappy thing I think is that it was recorded in DV then transferred to DVD and so on.

I am able to view it on a regular TV and if I pull down the saturation it is ok. I kind of tuned it to be OK on the TV but it looks undersaturated on my PC monitor. My concern is the following - now on my TV everything seems perfect but will it be the same on all others? I'm concerned if the problem is in the TV not the PC only but however. Will just try on other TV. Hope it goes well :)

Thanks a lot for the response! Checking Color Finesse is also a good idea it's worth a try!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved