ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Only Renders short part of movie

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharon HartOnly Renders short part of movie
by on May 6, 2011 at 7:22:16 pm

I read through threads but didn't see a solution. I've been searching, reading, watching tutorials for days now with no solution.

I have a movie that is 10 min long, green screen and just put a layer image in back and one in front. I just want to render it. I've tried every change in settings. I render the format as quicktime, Quality Best, Resolution Full, everything is basically preset and seems correct ... with sound checked and frame rate 23.976

It renders like a short part of the movie very quickly. Here's where I think the problem is but I'm not sure how to fix it. In my main AE window on layers the layer with my movie is only showing from 0:00f to 22f - I'm new with AF but I assume this means frames? When I double click the layer (to see the full movie in the composition panel at middle top) the full movie can be played. In the timeline however the movie layer goes off to the right. I can't seem to get it to show the full length of the movie. Even if I change the zoom into frame slider at the bottom. Is there something I need to change to fit the full movie in the timeline? I've also tried Opt+Home to make sure the movie starts at the first frame. Is there maybe a limit to the length in AE? I know there's a limit on size but my movie is only 3mb.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm attaching a screenshot.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Only Renders short part of movie
by on May 6, 2011 at 7:58:16 pm

Sorry -- don't see a screen shot.

From your brief post, I discern two things. First, it sounds like you may have to re-set your Work Area:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Second, it sounds like you're new to AE, and Lord only knows what kinds of tutorials you've been watching. If you're new, trying to use AE from a couple-three tutorials of unknown provenance (please don't say there were on YouTube) is like jumping into the deep end of the pool wearing lead weights.

You need to begin at the beginning....
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

...because there are too many ways AE will confound the uninitiated.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sharon HartRe: Only Renders short part of movie
by on May 6, 2011 at 8:47:06 pm

Thanks Dave,

I quickly need to delete this post, because It's shameful how easy the solution was. It's very odd to me that I seem to suddenly figure out a solution when I finally break down and post to a forum. Anyway, someone needs to shoot me, or something. I simply needed to click the little pop out/drop down menu on the right upper corner of the timeline panel and choose "Composition Settings" then change the Duration to 10 minutes. In my defense, the numbers are a bit confusing since they go 0:10:20:00 - but still. I should have used an alias.

*and* I have a subscription to Lynda.com and still, no bells went off when they covered that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Only Renders short part of movie
by on May 6, 2011 at 10:11:41 pm

[Sharon Hart] "*and* I have a subscription to Lynda.com and still, no bells went off when they covered that."

Whew! Good for you! And glad to hear it.
Some of those AE tutorials on YouTube are downright abominations, created by the ignorant for the even-more ignorant.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]