FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP TS-453BT3, QNAP TVS-873e or thunderbolt 3 local storage

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McDade
QNAP TS-453BT3, QNAP TVS-873e or thunderbolt 3 local storage
on May 31, 2018 at 4:17:18 pm

I'm trying to decide on a storage for a iMac Pro that will being doing 4k educational & documentary work.
I'm just a one person shop at the moment so the offerings from Promise Pegasus3 Series & G-SPEED Shuttle XL Thunderbolt 3 Raids seem like a good fit, but plunking down one of those next to the very quite iMac Pro and hearing those drives spin all day doesn't sound enticing. And I can't share the storage if I need to down the road.

Thats where the NAS QNAP TS-453BT3 would give me even more expandability in the future, and I can hook it directly with a CAT6 10GbE Port on the QNAP in a equipment rack to 10GbE Port in the iMac Pro. But it seems many on this site are going with the QNAP TVS-873e with QNAP QXG-10G1T card , connected directly to a computer for small setups. Thanks to Bob Zelin's advice (I remember him from the Avid L bulletin board days). Has anyone here used the QNAP TS-453BT3 unit?

Michael McDade
mikemcdade@me.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: QNAP TS-453BT3, QNAP TVS-873e or thunderbolt 3 local storage
on May 31, 2018 at 11:46:24 pm

installing a QNAP or Synology or Netgear ReadyNAS involves a complex setup. If you are a single user, and just want to plug in a big fast drive array, and not have to pay someone for the setup, and not have to deal with all the setup stuff (and don't care about having 2 or more users share the same RAID array), then just get a nice simple G-Tech Studio XL or Promise Pegasus. It plugs in and works, and they are fast.

Many people will not want to deal with the complexity of a NAS system, if they only have one user.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Michael McDade
Re: QNAP TS-453BT3, QNAP TVS-873e or thunderbolt 3 local storage
on Jun 1, 2018 at 1:13:02 pm

OK,

Thank you Bob,
If I decide to go the QNAP route I'll contact you for setup. Thank you for your feedback.

Michael McDade
mikemcdade@me.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]