FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for local storage when using a SAN

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim White
Suggestions for local storage when using a SAN
on Apr 15, 2017 at 8:19:23 am

Hi,
Would welcome thoughts on disk allocation for client machines attached to an Avid Nexis E2. The point of the SAN is to give all clients access to all projects from any machine so the media and project files need to be stored there but, when using Adobe Premiere CC what would be the best place for cache and scratch space? I've found Puget Systems article on standalone optimisation helpful - https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-4-Sto... - but wondered if anyone here could comment on how this would work in a SAN environment. Currently I am thinking
1. 256GB SSD -os+applications
2. 256GB M2 -cache+scratch
3. SAN - PROJECTS+MEDIA

Any thoughts most welcome.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Suggestions for local storage when using a SAN
on Apr 15, 2017 at 5:09:38 pm

thank you for posting this link. This is a spectacular article.
I have been following the exact instructions that you have specified, based on "common knowledge" of what
works and what does not work. To be a little more clear, the boot drive (SATA or SSD) is for your applications, and if you refuse to buy a SSD for Media Cache and Media Database, then use your SATA boot drive for the Media Cache. But yes, using a SSD for the Media Cache makes a big difference. Then keep your projects and media on your shared storage volume, and NEVER EVER put the Media Cache on the shared storage volume, or your system will crawl, and take 20 minutes to open a project. The rules outlined by this wonderful article by Puget Systems applies to all shared storage systems, not just AVID Nexis.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]