FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a cheap SAN...if possible... :)

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francesco Marullo
Creating a cheap SAN...if possible... :)
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:49:45 pm

Hi guyz,
I'm italian, colorist and I've an editor.

We should to build a grid to make files sharable and have an high speed (overall be available (with a of course lack of speed) to remote from outside of our house).

For now, we need an effective transfer of 150/200 MB per sec. I think we should use a grid with 10GbE.

some importance infos:
We work around 20Tb per years and then we'll change drives with new ones for next year and going this way..
We have 3 workstation: 1 PC, 1 MAC pro new and 1 Laptop workstation but I think that we'll be to max 5 workstation.

Can you give me an advice to make it possible?

The budget for us is 2500/3000 euros.
I need to have some infos before this friday! ☺

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Creating a cheap SAN...if possible... :)
on Jan 25, 2017 at 10:24:20 pm

buy a QNAP TVS-871T-16G.
you need that, 8 drives, and someone to help you get it setup.
This is within your budget

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Francesco Marullo
on Jan 25, 2017 at 10:32:36 pm

Okay and I have to cable my grid with 10gbe ethernet. perfect!
But how can I structure my grid? it have dual 10GbE, so each of them to each workstation and a 1gb ethernet to laptop?
and can I (maybe) rebuild to 3 or 5 workstation?

and a importance question: Can we work same file simultaneously 2/3 workstation? if yes, how many workstation can work same files with this qnap?

thank you very much!!
F

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 26, 2017 at 4:42:25 pm

But how can I structure my grid? it have dual 10GbE, so each of them to each workstation and a 1gb ethernet to laptop?
and can I (maybe) rebuild to 3 or 5 workstation?

REPLY -
you buy a Netgear 10G switch. Each client computer has a single cable that goes to this switch. The switch also connects to the QNAP. The cable from the client computer can be 1G (native on the computer) or 10G (using a thunderbolt to 10G adaptor from Sonnet, Promise or ATTO). If you buy a Netgear XS708T (under $1000) you have one cable from the QNAP into the switch, and now have 7 10G ports left for 7 client computers. Need more client computers ? Buy a bigger switch, like the XS716T ($1600).

and a importance question: Can we work same file simultaneously 2/3 workstation? if yes, how many workstation can work same files with this qnap?

YES, you can all edit the same media at the same time. If you have an 8 port switch, you can have all 7 computers editing the same media at the same time. If you have a 16 port switch, you can have 15 clients editing the same media at the same time.

If you need help setting this up, let me know. I can remote into you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Francesco Marullo
on Feb 8, 2017 at 4:32:52 pm

Hi,
I see netgear's siwthces, I saw that they've some difference in this model that you have mentioned: XS708T and I saw XS708E (the difference is in managing: web or smart managed) so which one should I buy?

In Italy the smart manage switch cost 1000€ and web manage cost 710€.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 8, 2017 at 10:50:01 pm

you cannot use a web browser to manage the XS708E - so unless you load the Netgear .exe file on a Windows PC, you will never be able to manage this with a simple product like Firefox, Safari or Chrome. For remote access over the internet, I feel it's critical to have a web browser management - so I prefer the more expensive switch for that reason.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Francesco Marullo
on Feb 8, 2017 at 10:55:19 pm

Ah, okay.
I understand it. Could I access to switch XS709T through classic browser, like Safari or Chrome like a normal switch?

Thank you very much Bob,
congratulations, you're a full of info! ☺

Frank

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 9, 2017 at 9:51:38 pm

yes
the XS708T (not the XS708E) can be accessed with any web browser -
Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari. They all work.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]