FORUMS: list search recent posts

can someone please explain to me the obsession with Cisco switches ?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
can someone please explain to me the obsession with Cisco switches ?
on Oct 13, 2016 at 6:05:48 pm

Hi -
would one of you professionals PLEASE explain to me why there is this insane insistence for some companies on
Cisco switches ONLY ? There are so many wonderful switches on the market today - everything from Netgear, to
Dell, to HP, to Juniper Networks, to Extreme Networks, to Arista Networks, to Interface Masters. But "OH NO" - we HAVE to use CISCO switches, it's the only thing we use".

WHY ? Why would anyone spend double of what anyone else charges, have a complicated CLI command structure with NO GUI, when all the other products are so reliable, so easy to get support on, and many offer lifetime warranties.
What is this obsession with Cisco ?

Thanks -
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
Re: can someone please explain to me the obsession with Cisco switches ?
on Oct 14, 2016 at 6:59:16 am

They have a rich feature set, but IMO this is probably just another one of those special clubs for people in the know.

F*ck Cisco for shared storage, frankly.

Like everybody else here I'm basically smitten with the Netgear XS range.

Oh and my best kept secret is the DLINK 1510-20, its a champ if you need 10G uplink, but only gigabit to the desktop. Of course you could just go direct, depends what you are doing. For 170GBP you can buy one for an experiment and its not going to cause any heartache.

Storage Engineer
alex@indiestor.com

Return to posts index

Elvin Jasarevic
Re: can someone please explain to me the obsession with Cisco switches ?
on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:11:05 am

Any of switches you have mentioned are absolutely fine, and nothing special about Cisco at least for DDP storage.
They are great for support etc, but so the others.

We have some very big corporate clients worldwide who have exclusive agreements with Cisco so they must use them (and trow the money). It all comes from the top...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]