FORUMS: list search recent posts

IS it possible to upgrade a MAC 5,1 to a ATTO card? or something to playback 4K DCI?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
singleton makin
IS it possible to upgrade a MAC 5,1 to a ATTO card? or something to playback 4K DCI?
on Oct 7, 2016 at 1:14:51 am

what PCIe card do I need?
Can somebody explain or sell me the best case scenario?

CAL DIGIT I heard about….

Everything else is THUNDERBOLT and LIGHTNING….crazy storm language….

it would be great to just say ATTO SCSI CARD please….

now I have to be a weather reporter…..geez louise…..

firewire was ok…IEE1394 USB3…..but THUNDERBOLT!!!!!!! SHAZAM!!!!!

Which version of THUNDERBOLT is even available as aPCIe card?

I am eSATA 3gbs now…….but was told with my current upgrade I could get a solution to playback 4K DCI with the DECKLINK 4K card I have installed…..

Thanks in advance I have about $2000 to spend on this solution

Singleton Makin
"observe the masses and do the opposite!"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: IS it possible to upgrade a MAC 5,1 to a ATTO card? or something to playback 4K DCI?
on Oct 7, 2016 at 1:35:47 am

You seem to have heard only part of the solution... What you need is a SAS card (Atto or Areca), plus a SAS connected enclosure, preferably with four or eight drives.

These wil cost you more than $2000... The card alone will cost you about $1000.

And, there are no Thunderbolt cards for your Mac, you have to have Thunderbolt on the motherboard, meaning a new Mac, plus new storage.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

singleton makin
Re: IS it possible to upgrade a MAC 5,1 to a ATTO card? or something to playback 4K DCI?
on Oct 7, 2016 at 4:35:27 am

thanks
yes sas
that is what i wws reading

can u please send me any links to the best case solution i dont know where to look

i was listenijg to the other thread about SSD Raids and the ability they have but they didnt say i was in trouble with the thunderbolt

the guys system seemed older than mine...

but any infor wouod be gratefui

as in sites like they listed

i got four , but if that is not SAS i wiol have to ask

thanks again

any leads are greatly appreciated

Singleton Makin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 7, 2016 at 2:55:53 pm

on Creative Cow, almost every single ad is about storage, or a disk drive company. I know that you have been doing this for a long time. I have no idea of how you survived all this time without owning a RAID array. As for the buzz words like thunderbolt, firewire, etc. This will never stop. Every year there will be new buzz words. Just like every year, your software will change, and you will have to continue to learn new menus, new changes. When will it be over - NEVER - you will always have to learn something new.

There are three companies that make host cards for Mac Pro 5,1 computers - Highpoint, ATTO and Areca. These cards plug into a box (a RAID array) that has a bunch of SATA drives in it. When the drives are stripped together, it makes it fast enough so that you can play back your 4K DCI footage. Because the Mac Pro 5,1 was discontinued in 2013, most of the new drive arrays today are thunderbolt - because the new Mac's are all thunderbolt. But there are plenty of companies that can sell you a RAID array that will work perfectly with your Mac Pro 5,1. Who ? Companies like Maxx Digital, G-Tech, and most of the other "banner ad" companies selling drives that you see advertise right here on Creative Cow. So it's your job now to CALL these companies and say "hey, I have a Mac Pro 5,1, what kind of RAID array can you sell me, so I can play back 4K Media".

And David is correct - most of these card cost about $1000, so it will be cost of the drives, the RAID box and the card, to get you a working system.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

singleton makin
on Oct 7, 2016 at 11:38:15 pm

Wow! Thanks so much Mr Zelin

That helps tremendously!

I have a simple path now to follow!

Thanks for you and the others who have written back in such great suppoet!

Cow rules!!

Cheers

Sing

Singleton Makin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:43:11 pm

Singleton writes -

REPLY - so, as per AJA Data Calc, 4K-DCA 2:4:1 at 23.98 fps, using a 10bit YUV Codec required 428 MB/sec.
and 4K-DCI 1:9:1 at 23.98 fps with a 10 bit YUV Codec is 526 MB/sec.

That's a lot of bandwidth for a single stream. Which is why most people use compression.

Exactly what RAID card and RAID array did you wind up buying ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]