FORUMS: list search recent posts

Xsan versus FibreJet?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Mackey
Xsan versus FibreJet?
on Aug 4, 2016 at 4:01:06 pm

Hi All,

We currently use CommandSoft's FibreJet for our SAN. I'm not particularly happy with it, from what I see its main use for us is to ensure that clients aren't simultaneously writing to the same drive.

The licensing is pretty expensive and the UI isn't very intuitive, imho.

I'm wondering if anyone is using Xsan and can comment on the benefits of FibreJet over Xsan if there are any?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Xsan versus FibreJet?
on Aug 4, 2016 at 6:03:54 pm

Hi
Command Soft FibreJet is pretty much obsolete at this time. If you still have a Fibre channel infrastructure, and want a software only solution, your choices are Tiger Technology Tiger Share, or Apple XSAN. Support and ease of use of Tiger Share will be much easier than dealing with XSAN which is administrative intensive.

With that said, most people today have switched to more modern solutions. There are countless shared storage solutions on the market, but most - even the cheap ones - require the purchase of new hardware. There are lots of complete solutions, most that use 10G ethernet, that start at under $10,000, and do not require complex administration like XSAN.

I fully understand that your company may want to continue with your existing hardware and QLogic switch.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 4, 2016 at 6:04:45 pm

Studio Network Solutions SANmp will also be an alternate software solution for you, which is a better choice than XSAN.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Dave Mackey
on Aug 4, 2016 at 10:49:17 pm

Thanks!

So most people these days aren't using Fibre Channel at all with the newer systems? Using iSCSI?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 5, 2016 at 4:06:23 pm

do you own Edify ?

are you using Media Composer, or other editing software? I will be able to answer your questions with that info.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Dave Mackey
on Aug 5, 2016 at 4:51:59 pm

Hi Bob,

The system we have currently is a Rorke Galaxy HDX-4 I believe (16x 2 TB SATA 7200 RPM drives).

There are four machines connected to it:

1x Mac Mini Server - For NAS functionality.
3x Mac Workstations - For post-production video editing.

Each of these machines uses a fiber channel direction directly to the SAN (it has four or five ports available directly on the SAN). The SAN can also support iSCSI, but this hasn't been configured.

All other individuals needing simple file access via the LAN through the Mac Mini Server.

All four machines connected via fiber channel run FibreJet to manage access.

The post-production editing is done in a mixture of Adobe Premiere Pro and Apple Final Cut Pro I believe.

I have significant experience in using large NAS storage devices (setup for HA) but this is my first time working with a SAN (always found ways to accomplish the same much less expensively with NAS) - the SAN has been here for a few years.

My goal is three-fold, (1) to move away from FibreJet (licensing is expensive, software is not that great), (2) to eventually implement a new storage solution (whether NAS or SAN or hybrid has not yet been determined) and (3) make sure that the video guys have the best workflow available to them (e.g., locking an entire drive whenever someone is editing some file on it really isn't ideal!).

That is a lot more background than you asked for, but I hope it helps explain a little more where I'm coming from. Any suggestions/direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 5, 2016 at 10:08:00 pm

how do I contact you ?
Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Dave Mackey
on Aug 15, 2016 at 3:04:26 am

Hi Bob, sorry for the delay in responding, got caught up in a few urgent projects regarding other systems! I found your email via your website and have sent you a message which includes both my email and phone. I'd really value your insights!

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

jacob william
on Aug 16, 2016 at 2:11:18 pm

A FibreJet managed enterprise-class storage network gives multiple computers operating on multiple operating systems concurrent access to multiple terabytes of storage using just about anyone's storage over Fibre Channel or iSCSI. FibreJet has shown in real world application to have as much as 500% better performance during file-copy compared to the same operation on other SAN management software. On SAN networks using FibreJet operators are able find a file in as little as 5 seconds as compared to taking as much as 4 minutes and more for the same operation in many other well known SAN management solutions.

FibreJet is the proven choice for storage and server consolidation; higher performance, lower cost, easy scalability with higher availability when you need to work together. FibreJet is a true multi-platform sharing solution. Whether you are a MAC OSX user or a MS Windows 7 user, FibreJet lets you share files and volumes of virtually unlimited size over a Fibre Channel based network or over an Ethernet iSCSI network. Virtually unlimited systems on the SAN can read and write to our shared storage simultaneously. Using your favorite standard disk utilities, you can pool data across multiple SAN storage (both RAID and JBOD) for enhanced performance. Each SAN attached computer accesses the storage as if it were directly attached, giving extreme performance for demanding applications such as sharing HD video with a workgroup of editors, or cluster computing where high speed access to a shared data set allows each computer to calculate at maximum efficiency.

Return to posts index

Jim Boas
on Aug 23, 2016 at 8:04:46 pm

Hi Dave,
feel free to give me a call as I think I can help you and we can either:
(1) continue to support you with your Fibrejet/HDX storage
(2) replace Fibrejet with HyperFS File Level solution and keep your existing storage and infrastructure
(3) introduced to the Genesis Unlimited File Level SAN solution which is a cost effective and scalable File Level SAN solution built into a single enclosure. This solution also offer both File & Block Level access all under a single Enterprise File System. It also offers a multitude of connectivity options including 8/16Gbit Fibre, 1/10Gbit iSCSI or as I said, we could also connect LAN clients via 1/10Gbit.

you can find additional information about it at: http://scalelogicinc.com/html/genesis-unlimited-san-appliance.php

Give me a call
Jim Boas
Scale Logic Inc.
610-793-7513
jboas@scalelogicinc.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]