FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAS Video Storage and Access

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Britt
NAS Video Storage and Access
on Apr 30, 2014 at 5:22:26 pm

I will be upgrading my high school editing lab over the summer and need some advice on increasing speed to my NAS. I currently have 30 iMacs, Mid '07 models, along with a 27" iMac for high end editing, and I connect them either wired through a network or wirelessly to a Buffalo 15TB NAS for storage and archive. Moving footage over the network is painfully slow. (Currently not GigE.)

I'll be moving to newer iMacs and several high end edit workstations. What kind of system architecture do I need to make this a faster system of moving video to and from storage? What are the basic pieces to make this work?

Michael

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: NAS Video Storage and Access
on Apr 30, 2014 at 6:46:53 pm

This is unfortunately a very common problem when attempting to create a shared storage environment for video streaming on a NAS designed for standard "non-video" file sharing.

There are MANY variables you are up against Michael, including: inherent latency, the sheer number of video users, the number of hard drives in your array, etc.

If building a shared storage environment for video on a simple NAS were as easy as moving Word docs etc., not one of the companies advertising shared storage solutions here on The Cow would be in business.

Your high school is going to have to invest some money if you want a working media lab.

We at ProMAX do this all day everyday, and can help you with an affordable solution. Feel free to call me at 949/861-2709 if you'd like my help.

David

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 30, 2014 at 8:49:03 pm

Hi Michael,
this is the answer to your question.
You can't do it yourself. You are not going to to Office Depot, or Staples, and buying the equipment you need to make this work. You need a server, you need a hi speed 10GbE switch, or direct connect ports in the server to your client computers, and you need a very hi speed disk drive array (not a Buffalo, or OWC, or Lacie). And you need someone to configure this for you.

You will see on this forum, and other forums on Creative Cow, that there are countless manufacturers that do this. "Well, why can't I just do it myself" - you can Michael - that's how I figured it out - it took a LONG TIME, and now I do this for a living, because I figured out the tricks to make this happen. And if you are in fact interested in this subject, you can too ! But these consumer stores simply do not sell the equipment that you need to make this work. If you simply have to get a system up and running for your classroom, and you have a budget (because I see that you have lot's of Mac computers !) - then just get one of the wonderful brands that you see advertised here on Creative Cow, and you will have working system for all your students, and you will be a hero. You will not be a hero if you try to do this with parts from the Office Store.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on May 1, 2014 at 3:32:32 am

Mr. Zelin Speaks the truth!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 1, 2014 at 6:30:42 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "Mr. Zelin Speaks the truth!"

Jeeze Mark, the implication is that I was just talking trash... Oh my, the wound hurts so bad. :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Michael Britt
on May 1, 2014 at 11:37:55 am

Thank you for your response and input Mr. Zelin.

My initial inquiry got the result I needed which was a positive and engaging response from a professional who was willing to speak with me over the phone and get the full picture of what my situation is and to ascertain my next steps in moving ahead.

Michael Britt

Return to posts index

Stephen McKenna
on May 19, 2014 at 5:52:49 pm

Hi Michael,

As David said, video editing over NAS protocols can be tricky. At SNS we offer a wide range of solutions to help turn your existing NAS hardware into a SAN (this typically provides for a 20%-30% improvement in speed out of your existing hardware), as well as providing workflow enhancements for every major NLE on the market. We have worked with many schools over the years to do exactly what you are describing in the most cost effective way possible. Please feel free to give me a call at 314-775-8727 to discuss your project. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]