FORUMS: list search recent posts

Isis 5000 and 7000

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
Isis 5000 and 7000
on Nov 3, 2012 at 5:07:57 am

Can someone give me a high level idea of the differences between a isis 5000 and 7000. I understand 7000 is total enterprise class and offers more storage capacity. But are there other compelling difference out of the box.

Thank you.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Isis 5000 and 7000
on Nov 3, 2012 at 10:49:33 pm

ISIS 5000 is the "Unity replacement" for generic editing facilities. It no longer uses Fibre Channel with ATTO FC-41ES cards, QLogic switches and a Fibre array. It is a Windows 2008 Server computer with a base of 16 drives, that allows clients to connect via 1GbE copper ethernet. The connection back to the server from the switch can be four ethernet cables (link agg back to an Intel Pro/1000 4 port card), or 10gig ethernet to a Force 10 switch with a single 10GbE port, and copper on the front. AVID allows for a SINGLE 10gig connection for direct connect PER CHASSIS (per ISIS Engine). So if you want two 10gig connections, you need two ISIS 5000 chassis.

ISIS 7000 to my knowlege is still Fibre, and is for enterprise solutions (big TV stations) - I don't know a single facility (other than TV stations that I do not deal with) that has ISIS 7000. I bet the networks and CNN must have it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Nov 8, 2012 at 5:31:30 pm

ISIS 5000: Limit of 90 connected clients. 7000= limited only by the bandwidth of your switches.

We have 3 ISIS 5000's. You're probably wondering why we didn't go with the 7000. Real estate and geography were part of the decision. We're located in two different buildings across a wide boulevard.
Interconnectivity between the buildings was limited until we sprang for 10gig fibre under the street.
With that in place, anyone on the company intranet can access ISIS 1, 2 , or 3. So... my suggestion would
be the isis 5000 is a great building block and you won't be penalized if you have to grow beyond the 90 seats or storage capacity limit. There is an advantage to having separate systems located in different buildings but interconnected. Example: load full rez media on ISIs 1 in building 1, but store original media (Discs, chips etc) in other building. Instant redundancy in the event of fire, earthquake, etc.

Deciding between the two is really up to your own specific requirements. Coming from an X-SAN install, I can say I LOVE the sys admin controls... very nice.

Good luck.

Mark

Return to posts index

David Budnetz
on Nov 9, 2012 at 11:30:20 pm

Bob,

ISIS 7000 is copper or optical ethernet to clients, and a proprietary form of infiniband interconnects between engines.

The principle differences between ISIS 5k and 7k are the following:

1] ISIS 5k is a SAN built on windows storage server 2008, which is sold as a turnkey product. ISIS 7000 is a clustered blade-server product running a proprietary version of linux. Each individual component of ISIS 7000 acts as a separate server element, running within the cluster; see the breakdown of components below:

a] In ISIS 7000, a storage element is not a hard drive, but rather an "ISB" -or- ISIS Storage Blade. each ISB is 2 hard drives with an embedded server on a chip. each ISB receives a set of unique IP address.

b] each engine optionally holds 1 of 2 switch modules; either an ISS (ISIS Switch Blade) which can handle 8 direct-connect 1GbE clients, 1 HiRez 10GbE client, and a 12Gb interconnect; for further expansion beyond 2 engines, you would need to populate the switch slots with ISX modules (ISIS eXpansion switch blade)to connect up to 12 engines in a stack.

2] ISIS 5000 does not have true network redundancy, while ISIS 7000 is ALWAYS configured with at least 2 VLANs.

3] The ISIS 5000 engine is an integrated unit, containing storage elements and a System Director in a single unit. ISIS 7000 uses discrete hardware components; an engine contains storage and switch blades+power supplies; the system director(and failover system director) are separate servers. Both products use add-on servers for FTP and CIFS/SMB connectivity to non-realtime clients.

4] Both ISIS 5000 & 7000 have multiple "zones" that clients can exist in. Zone 1 is directly connected to an engine. Zone 2 is connected via a qualified switch. ISIS 7000 further certifies the ability to connect low-res clients via the house network (via a separate pair of VLANs, Zone 3) and via FTP and/OR CIFS/SMB for non-realtime clients, zone 4.

6] ISIS 5000 uses a hardware RAID controller on a per-engine basis; 3x RAID5 groups per engine. ISIS 7000 ISBs are each addressed as individual elements within storage groups, which can span multiple engines. ISIS 7000 storage groups can be either mirrored or RAID6, both controlled via the ISIS system director and ISIS software backbone.

the AVID ISIS 7000 whitepaper contains some very useful information. You can find it here:
http://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/documents/whitepapers/Avid_ISIS...

Return to posts index

David Budnetz
on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:34:51 pm

[David Budnetz] "ISIS 7000 is copper or optical ethernet to clients, and a proprietary form of infiniband interconnects between engines.

The principle differences between ISIS 5k and 7k are the following:

1] ISIS 5k is a SAN built on windows storage server 2008, which is sold as a turnkey product. ISIS 7000 is a clustered blade-server product running a proprietary version of linux. Each individual component of ISIS 7000 acts as a separate server element, running within the cluster; see the breakdown of components below.

Correction and annotations:

1] ISIS 7000 runs proprietary Linux on the blade elements only. The system director is still windows server(storage server 2008-R2, iirc.)

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:22:28 pm

This has been excellent information.

Thank you

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:38:05 pm

I confused by one thing, the isis 7000 say it comes with 2 switch connectivity the Iss2000, which has (8) 1g ethernet connections and 1 10g connection.

So does this mean that you have the capacity to connect 16 direct connected clients via the 1g Ethernet and 2 clients via the 10g?

Also if you are going to expand the capacity of the isis you need to purchase more Chassis/engines not just the ISBs right?

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

David Budnetz
on Nov 19, 2012 at 4:27:25 pm

"...the isis 7000 say it comes with 2 switch connectivity the Iss2000, which has (8) 1g ethernet connections and 1 10g connection.

So does this mean that you have the capacity to connect 16 direct connected clients via the 1g Ethernet and 2 clients via the 10g?"

ISIS 7000 is always configured with dual VLANS (lets say xxx.xxx.10.xxx and xxx.xxx.20.xxx)Generally, you would dual-connect clients (1 connection to the .10 VLAN and 1 connection to the .20 VLAN)for redundancy. You could, in theory, single connect all your clients, but they would be segregated between VLANs. I don't recall if the 10Gb port can be used simultaneously with the 1Gb ports. If I recall correctly, on your 1st engine you will lose 1 port on each ISS blade to connect to the ISIS system director.

"Also if you are going to expand the capacity of the isis you need to purchase more Chassis/engines not just the ISBs right?"

Yes. The ISIS Engine (Chassis) is just an enclosure with power supplies and out-of-band hardware monitoring. You need to populate each engine with ISBs
for storage AND either ISS or ISX switch blades for connectivity. To expand beyond 2 engines, you will need to add an engine with ISX blades. 1 Engine with ISX blades supports up to a 12 engine stack.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Dec 26, 2012 at 8:05:46 pm

Just for informational purposes for anyone in the future who may search and find this thread.

We decided to go with a Isis 5000 two engines (32tb), with the possibility of adding a third in 2014. we will connect them to a Cisco switch via the 10Gig card. The primary editors (7) will connect using Dual 1g to the switch and then we have a 10 gig connection from the switch going to the campus network which will then be utilize by a couple of editors and classrooms.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]