FORUMS: list search recent posts

best SAN set up for me?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
best SAN set up for me?
on Nov 1, 2008 at 4:55:46 pm

I have 4 macs each running FCP and at the moment they're all on a fibrechannel network. Sadly I'm hitting reliablility issues and need to start to look at what my options are for replacing my SAN Software. I have 1 infortrend 14tb raid, a 3tb Huge and a qlogic switch. At the moment only one client can readwrite at any one time to a partition - every one can read.

I mostly edit HD at prores 422HQ

What's my best option here? I need reliabiity as I have just lost a weekend edit due to unreliability of the SAN software. - I'm not an IT Guy but I'm learning fast!!!!!

Sean

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: best SAN set up for me?
on Nov 1, 2008 at 6:45:54 pm

Sean,

Developments in this area are very active with game changing new products hitting the market almost daily. You may want to check into JMR technologies (They're an advertiser on the cow...look to the left).

You mention that you're not an IT guy, but Mr. Zelin has written a very popular article on a DIY SAN.
Search for it here on the Cow.

Finally, if you want a turn key, user friendly solution, you're going to pay a premium. Check into Facillis Terrablock, Tiger Tech METASAN, or Apple's X-SAN. A proper SAN with all of the switches, connectivity, etc. is not cheap.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Nov 1, 2008 at 7:23:25 pm

Thanks Mark - I have a working SAN so I have the Raids and the switches I'm having problems with the software and it's started costing me money!

I need to switch!

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 1, 2008 at 10:13:43 pm

exactly what SAN software are you using right now ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Nov 2, 2008 at 8:28:37 am

Fibreshare but it doesnt seem to play nice with Leopard and I keep having to restart the raids to get the machines to see the drives after a shut down. It works well with Tiger.

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: best SAN set up for me? Wyler ?
on Nov 2, 2008 at 4:28:19 pm

I would love to see Wyler Ferguson reply to your post, as he is on this list, and made this statement, about 20 posts below yours on Charismac woes -

FibreShare does run fine with Leopard. What exactly makes you think it is a specific FibreShare issue and not something else in the SAN? Since Software which people interact with is at the forefront it is always easy to jump to conclusionsit's the SAN Management Software.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 2, 2008 at 4:30:32 pm

why don't you give the Tiger Technology people a ring, and ask them for a free eval of their MetaSAN software. They will let you try it for 30 days for free, and it will absolutely work with your existing hardware.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]