FORUMS: list search recent posts

MetaSan? XSan? Fibrejet?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Bryan Keith
MetaSan? XSan? Fibrejet?
on Jul 19, 2007 at 9:16:01 pm

Our new facility is in the process of setting up a SAN network. I'm the editor who will be using and overseeing this system the most. Here's what my goal is:

2 or 3 main edit workstations working off same storage network...sometimes same project, sometimes different projects. About 4 other workstations besides these to read and write to this network...but these workstations come and go depending on the project.

We already have fiber channel runs to all of these workstations. What we havent decided on is what San solution we will be using. My research makes me think MetaSan is the best solution...but one of our providers recommended to our IT guy that Fibrejet is the way to go. Up until today, I had only really heard of X San and MetaSan. From what I'm reading...file-level sharing seems to be the way to go.

Can I get some opintions?

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
Re: MetaSan? XSan? Fibrejet?
on Jul 21, 2007 at 5:08:12 pm

I can only speak for MetaSan, but I highly recommend it. We installed it on a similar setup: we have 3 edit suites w Kona LHe's and 2 computers (iMacs) that are just workstations. The great thing about MetaSAN is they give you a free 30 day trial. We are nearing the end of ours and I'll buy it.

Setting up is fairly easy, but their tech support did a nice and simple webex session with us and set up the control panel so it was perfect. Once setup, it works great. The only time I need to go to the control panel is when I try and mount another drive. I'm not sure why you have to go and tell it it's okay, but you do.

Great stuff. You might as well try the trial, though I would guess like me, you'll just stick with it once you try it.

I LOVE having a single volume that works on all 3 of our editing stations. Good stuff.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Chuck McMakin
Re: MetaSan? XSan? Fibrejet?
on Jul 26, 2007 at 8:20:14 pm

CommandSoft also offers evaluation licenses.

We're happy to help you with them should you like to give FibreJet a test drive.

Feel free to give me a call or send me an Email any time and we can make it happen!

Chuck McMakin
CommandSoft, Inc. /
Phone: (805)730-7772 /
Email: chuck@commandsoft.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]