FORUMS: list search recent posts

EVA1 - Can I copy 'Setup Files' as a group from one SD card to another?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Low
EVA1 - Can I copy 'Setup Files' as a group from one SD card to another?
on Mar 22, 2019 at 5:15:04 pm

I'm wrangling a number of EVA1 cameras. Which need fps speed changes quickly done (Quick Switched). I can create a group of Setup Files on a given SD card in a given slot (slot one, say). But I've got a number of SD cards going and I want to copy this collection of Setup Files to ALL the cards. I can't do it in a computer because the EVA1 seems to need a re-format each time I load a new card (which erases the Setup File group).

I tied to do an in-camera format, then pull the card, and add the Setup File folder, and put it back in the camera. Nada. Won't work.

So how does one copy a 'Setup File' group to a bunch of SD cards ... that can be copied from card to card as we fill up cards and then reformat them for the next run?

All ears, Ben

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
Re: EVA1 - Can I copy 'Setup Files' as a group from one SD card to another?
on Apr 5, 2019 at 6:11:41 pm

I realize that this is probably too late, but I didn't have any issues popping a formatted card into my MacBook and copying the setup files, formatting the card in the camera, and copying the files back over from the MacBook.

What cards are you using? Are you copying the exact setup file folder structure over to the new cards? Not sure why the camera would want to reformat your cards unless something in the folder structure has changed.

On a related note, this process seems unwieldy unless I'm missing something. Are we expected to have a laptop with us at all times so that we can copy over the file setting every time we format a card? A little confused as to why the setup files only live on the SD card.

Return to posts index

Ben Low
on Apr 6, 2019 at 1:38:42 pm

Thank you kindly Per Scaffidi,

Duh. I should have thought of that. Perhaps I didn't because when I was first working with the camera it seemed imperative that one had to format the card in the camera ... it wouldn't fire up when no formatted afresh in the camera. And somehow I just never thought to test that, by formatting the card, then copying the data files over from the computer, then plugging the card back in the camera. I'm going to try it after breakfast this morning. It is a solution. I would complain, but Panasonic is making some pretty remarkable cameras these days. I've been shooting a number of films with the GH5 and am in awe of how well it is designed. The EVA1 is an experiment. A little bit of an oddball ... wonderful camera ... and yet why not use the GH5 LCD screen (which I use all the time in the outdoors just fine) with its remarkable sensitivity. Mmm. And why not the 5 axis stabilizer? I'm often able to shoot long shots on the fly that look as if they were Steadycammed (with the GH5's combo of camera and lens stabilizers). I can't get anything as nearly stable on the EVA, for which I added the Zacuto viewer. I keep thinking of the Sony EX3, which had a wonderful view system built in, incredibly easy to work with. Could be all about perceived value and the current fascination with loading on dangling gear. Thank you again Per Scaffidi. I will report back once I've tried your solution. All the best, Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Low
on Apr 6, 2019 at 7:04:32 pm

Per Scaffidi,

Thank you again. I tried your suggestion. It works fine. This will be helpful because I'm shooting a lock down situation - where I can't easily access the camera; so having two SDcards WITH the Quick Switch setups on them is most helpful, and allows me to copy the Quick Switch setups to ALL the SD cards before the shoot.

Very much appreciated,

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]