FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic EV1

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzin Daly
Panasonic EV1
on Feb 14, 2018 at 8:16:29 pm

I've been thinking of getting the Panasonic EV1 EF mount.

Question: will the format AVCHD work with Premiere CS6? It's not a problem with my Panasonic 150 HD, ancient in today's technology. I haven't found a rental place that has them to rent to try out.

Best
Suzin

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Panasonic EV1
on Feb 20, 2018 at 3:31:13 pm

I am sure it does.
Just in case download whatever drivers you need from Panasonic.
We ordered two EV1, hopefully, get it soon.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Feb 20, 2018 at 5:09:34 pm

Thanks for taking the time respond. If possible, could you let me know what you think of the Panasonic EV1?
Thanks for the tip on downloading from Panasonic. Still in the learning process......

Best
Sz

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 1, 2018 at 3:22:50 pm

Both units dropped yesterday.
Opened one box up to find a very (scary) lightweight body.
Even with the handles (top and side), it wasn't heavy at all.
I own a RED Scarlet and these two will be replacing (day job) Sony XDCAMs as well (possibly) a RED ONE.
I hope to find time to test this on the field soon.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Mar 1, 2018 at 3:52:11 pm

Thanks for the update. Scary good/bad? Are you thinking if they work out, replace Sony and the Red..? [that seems surprising everyone here in N.C. are big Red and Sony S7 fans] If I decided to go outside these two...I be going rogue.

If you have time, I would so much appreciate updates on what you really think of the camera, and codecs for editing.
Thanks again, I really do appreciate you taking the time

Best Suzin

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 1, 2018 at 4:31:19 pm

Scary meaning so freakin light I feel I can just break it with one hand ☺

So far it's not bad to hold and very well designed.

Feels a lot lighter than a C100 and Sony F5.

Took it apart easily

I wouldn't say replace the RED but maybe complement it for other projects.

My day job consists of some corporate work which replaces the XDCAM.

Oh yea and its def light enough for a Helix Jr.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Mar 1, 2018 at 5:02:22 pm

Thank you again for the update. From the specs 2.6 lbs. That would feel unusually light, with accessories 4.5 lbs. It will be interesting to find out if it is sturdy. I am not a professional, but I do a lot of filming for independent filmmakers. Sadly I am still using the Panasonic 150, 3.5 - with battery it weights 4.3 lbs. The next camera, I will have for a long time, which is why I am not jumping, a mistake is expensive. I have worked with the Sony S7 loaded it is heavy for me when off tripod. The thought of the EV1 feeling like it could break, hopefully not, is a little concerning. The P 150 though light, feels very solid and has proven can take the work.

Once you start really using it and have time....let me know what you think. I really do appreciate taking the time for updates. I know your probably busy.

Suzin

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 5, 2018 at 3:47:45 pm

Update on the cameras.
Our SDXC cards have not dropped yet.
Went with the Panasonic 128GB.
They were not cheap but way cheaper than my RED mags.
Playing around with the settings and so far so good.
Hopefully, by end of the week we will have some idea.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Mar 5, 2018 at 4:25:45 pm

Once again, thank you for the update. Nice to read so far so good. Glad you mentioned the 128 GB cards. A friend gifted me two SDXC SanDisk 128 GB cards, with luck if I go the Panasonic path the cards will be a good start.
You are being so very nice, if you lived in the Raleigh N.C. area I'd treat you to lunch. You don't have to keep me updated, I am so appreciative getting some feedback by a user. thaqnks

Best
Sz

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 7, 2018 at 2:00:46 am

I don't mind talking about the camera.
Its a new world for us at my day job.
Will we stop using the RED ONE, maybe.
I am not used to the color science of this camera yet but then I haven't shot anything either.
SDXC will drop tomorrow so till then I am reading more manuals.
There are a few manuals out there.
Might as we read them just in case.
We will be testing it with Helix Jr. soon.
Hopefully you get a chance to test one in your parts.
Im in mid west Canada.
Snow is 4 feet deep so its a bit tough using a gimbal ;)

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Mar 7, 2018 at 4:57:16 pm

4 feet of snow, oh dear can make things rather challenging.
I have looked into a few places for rental, so far none have gotten the EV1.
Since you're the only one I know who has taken the leap, I'm just reading your reports.
If I do the leap, good news...I will probably buy from B & H Photo and they are very good about returns. I try not to do that if possible. I'm in no rush. I will keep checking to see about renting, if possible. I'm attracted to the light weight and I have some good canon glass. I find it surprising that you write that you would stop using the Red, really? Down here, that is the dream camera.

Thanks again for the update
Suzin - NC no snow, 60 degrees but slightly overcast. Which makes for lovely diffusion

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 8, 2018 at 2:07:36 pm

Here is an Instagram post of the EVA1.
Today we will finally do some recording.
Workload got in the way but at least my co-shooter got some time in to work the EVA1 with a Helix Jr.
My day job has us working on the older RED ONE.
I love that camera but nowhere near as agile as my RED Scarlet.
The only reason I mentioned replacing was that the RED ONE was being utilized for almost everything and it was a bit overkill for training videos and simple run and gun.
We will know soon enough if the RED ONE will be stored away.
For myself personally, my RED Scarlet will never be sold and one day will help me my own personal projects.
It goes out for rental time to time but not as much of late due to all the newer cheaper options out there.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 13, 2018 at 3:19:08 pm

I had to hand off the testing to my colleagues.
So far so good as far as the basics go.
They are having fun with the User settings and have stuck to shooting 4K DCI.
We received the Panasonic SDXC 128GB but haven't really shot anything worthwhile.
The Zacuto Gratical MicroEye OLEDs also dropped and I'm hoping to give those my eyeballs ☺
They look (too) amazing in Rec709. We had to dial back to LOG since it made everything look vivid.
They will not be using the Sony XDCAMs for any future projects.
The EVA1 has completely replaced them.

I really need to get on one soon :)

Return to posts index

Bill Parsons
on Apr 10, 2018 at 3:23:32 pm

I am looking at the EV-1.

Currently I have the Pan HPX250 and what I like are the 4-channels of audio (the on-camera mikes into channels 3 and 4 have saved my audio numerous times) and the 24mm-equivalent lens. I don't like the weight as it's so hard to handhold. Didn't think 6 lbs was this heavy....

I have looked at the EV-1 manual and it appears that there are only 2 audio channels. This means I'll have to get a field recorder to use on my gigs. I also can't get any info about wide zooms for EF mounts.

SO, In addition to reviews of this camera, I'd like to get some feedback on what people do for field sound. There is a ZOOM mixer at not too much money. Anyone using this and if not, what's the solution?

And, what wide EF zoom are people using?

Many thanks, Bill

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 18, 2018 at 3:16:34 pm

[Bill Parsons] "I have looked at the EV-1 manual and it appears that there are only 2 audio channels. This means I'll have to get a field recorder to use on my gigs. I also can't get any info about wide zooms for EF mounts."

For us, two channels are fine for training and corporate shoots.
Personally, I would use an external mixer/recorder with this camera.
For my personal setup (RED Scarlet), I have an SD744T.
As far as wide, I've only have a Tokina 11-16mm but haven't tried it yet.
Using mostly Canon glass.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]