FORUMS: list search recent posts

VariCam detail

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Hayes
VariCam detail
on Oct 1, 2009 at 6:31:30 am

I am shooting a cable television series on VariCam and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on detail settings. I am shooting with Cine Zoom Lenses. The current detail settings on the cameras are. I usually shy away from using detail. The show is a scripted comedy and I want it to look like it was shot on 35mm.

MASTER DETAIL 0
H.DTL LEVEL(LOW) 8
V.DTL LEVEL(LOW) 12
DTL CORING(LOW) 2
H.DTL FREQ.(LOW) 22

To save the time of people who will say "Shoot it on 35mm" lets pretend you already posted that one and I'm already LOL

Bob Hayes
DP
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Evangelos Achillopoulos
Re: VariCam detail
on Oct 4, 2009 at 8:45:53 am

Bob, from my experience leave detail off and add it in post it will be much better... detail function in Varicam (as in all camcorders) is a post function that happens before the tape recording... since its post, gather your image and do it selectively in real post...

Try the filmrec mode...

Evangelos Achillopoulos
Elec. Engineer
DIT, DI/VFX supervisor

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
Re: VariCam detail
on Oct 8, 2009 at 3:56:37 am

Bob, If the detail settings are at the factory setting...then master detail = 0 is quite a lot of detailing. A setting of of -4 master detail is subtle, but noticeable. A setting of -7 is just about invisible.

Setting master detail to off is a safe choice, but you might find the image lacks a little bit of punch. Adding detail in post is ok, but it might also add detailing to compression artifacts, and thats not so good. So, if you can find a setting you really like, you might want to set it in the camera.

Good luck with your new show!

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]