FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconverting with 1200A deck

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Drezner
Downconverting with 1200A deck
on Jul 28, 2005 at 8:48:57 pm

I've searched some previous posts, but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this question:

I am editing a program in Final Cut Pro HD on a dual 1.8 G5 with 1 GB RAM. We have material which was shot in DV and are now shooting new material with the Varicam(despite my arguing that this just complicates things).

We had been planning to rent the 1200A to downconvert the HD to DV for editing. What is not clear to me is whether we can do this over Firewire. I've seen conflicting answers on different forums.

If we can't downconvert with Firewire, would it be easier to send the HD tapes out to have them transferred to DVCAM? What would we need to make it work with the 1200A?

This is my first time with this workflow, so I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Todd

Return to posts index

Jeff Merritt
Re: Downconverting with 1200A deck
on Jul 29, 2005 at 1:58:59 am

Hi Todd,

If you get a chance, go to the Panasonic Web Site for the AJ-HD1200A and download the brochure for the VTR. On page three you will find a handy chart that lists all the different conversions possible with the option cards installed on the HD1200A such as the IEEE 1394 card. There you'll notice that no matter which HD format is recorded on tape, you can output 480i, standard definition. Just make sure your SD recorder is set up correctly to accept the SD over firewire. Check the manufacturer's specifications. Also be sure to set the correct output format on the HD1200A. Follow the menu specifications found in the user's manual.

For your information and the rest of the folks on this forum, this question is asked many times. Panasonic designed the machine to do exactly this type of down conversion. Also know that the output in SD will have the timecode, picture and audio in sync and a direct match-back to the original source tapes.

Thanks for asking.

Jeff Merritt
Product Line Business Manager
High Definition Products
Panasonic Broadcast
323-436-3676

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Jul 29, 2005 at 3:43:47 am

This site will show you how to configure the 1200a:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/sales_o/ieee1394/AJ-HD1200AP_FCPHD4...

Chris Bell

Return to posts index

Todd Drezner
on Jul 29, 2005 at 4:49:01 pm

Thanks for your help.

Todd

Return to posts index

David Berez
on Dec 2, 2005 at 2:26:19 am

I am using a 1200A to downconvert 720P footage. The downconvert works fine as I tested it loading it into FCP and the footage is fine DV25 just what it should be. However, when I take the same output (firewire) and plug it into my DSR-1500, the iLink light does not lock up, it just blinks.

I tested the DSR-1500 by loading firewire directly from a DV Camera (VX 2000) and the DSR-1500 locks up to it just fine.

So, best I can tell there is something the DSR-1500 just does not like about the firewire output of the AJ-1200A. However, I tested both machines and the downconverted output of the 1200A loads just fine into FCP (DV NTSC Easy Setup) and the DSR-1500 locks on immediately to the output of the VX2000.

Jeff, I know Sony gear is not your thing, but I suspect you might know the answer

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]