FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rolling Shutter and Flashbanding on HMC40

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
Rolling Shutter and Flashbanding on HMC40
on Jan 2, 2011 at 1:04:07 am

Hi there,
I recently shot some reception dance footage using the HMC40. Unfortunately, the DJ used strobe lights for many of the dances which the rolling shutter on these cameras HATES. I know I can't shoot directly at the lights but even after moving as far away from the lights as possible I inevitably have some shots with banding. Is there anything I can do to clean this up in post?

I'm currently using PPro CS5 (but can use AE as well). I've had a little success with having two layers- the top layer offset 1 frame and blending mode set to "darken." I know Sonicfoundy makes a software to fix the jello effect but I don't think it does anything with flash banding... and costs an arm and a leg.

Again, I KNOW flash banding occurs, but as I said, sometimes it cannot be avoided- in this case it was on a riverboat, so logistically moving people/cameras was very difficult at best.

First and foremost I need to know if there are any post tricks I can try for this particular project. Then, is there anything I can do in the future to minimize the banding if I find myself with no other option but to shoot it?

Thanks!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]