FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100A & AG-DVC80 matching (?)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Robertson
DVX100A & AG-DVC80 matching (?)
on Feb 22, 2009 at 2:04:39 am

I have a DVX100A and looking to get a 2nd camera for multi-cam shoots. Unfortunately my budget doesn’t allow me to get a 2nd DVX today – but I did find an AG-DVC80 for sale at a reasonable price.

My questions: If I’m only shooting basic event work, use manual controls including meticulous white balancing with both cameras, should I have noticeable color differences between tapes?

The 2nd hand AG-DVC80 has 330 hours on it. Should this be a concern? I’ve heard different point of view on head hours.

Thanks in advance - RR

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVX100A & AG-DVC80 matching (?)
on Feb 23, 2009 at 1:49:26 am

Well it would depend- will you shoot 60i or 24p on the DVX100. The 80 can only shoot 60i, and the 24p mode of the DVX100 looks way better than 60i. Personally I'd grab another DVX100 instead. Used you should find for not too much more than an 80 and matching will be perfect.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Russell Robertson
on Feb 23, 2009 at 2:49:33 am

Thanks Noah – I primarily shoot rock bands on stage, and fairly fast motion stage shows (community theater work) - since there is a good deal of fast action/movement with this type shooting, wouldn’t I get a good amount of strobing with 24p?

I would certainly prefer a 2nd DVX, but the difference between a $800 DVC80 and $1,200 DVX is fairly great today with my current available funds.

The difference between these two cameras is also the DVC80 has over 300 hours, the DVX about 150. Do you consider that a big difference?

If can get enough strong arguments, I'd consider taking a loan for the $400 difference. I’m just on the fence right now and appreciate all your insight, experience and comments.

RR

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 23, 2009 at 3:30:54 am

Sure you can get strobing- if you move the camera too fast- same strobing you would get if shooting film. With practice you get the hang of it. Would you rather have something that looked like a feature concert film or a home video or news channel version of a concert. If you want the former- you want 24p. If you don't care about that at all- stick with the 80.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Bevan Iredell
on May 25, 2010 at 1:29:34 am

I'm in the same boat. I flatten the footage on my 80 and 100b and then pump them back up in post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]