FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200AP Stopped Suddenly

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Wiederhoeft
HVX200AP Stopped Suddenly
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:14:00 pm

My intern was out shooting last night on our HVX200AP with 2 32GB P2 cards and one 16GB card. At about 35-40min in, she hot swapped the full 32 GB card out for the 16GB card and sat down (which I already reprimanded her for).

At the end of the lecture, which was 10-15min later, she stood up to realize that the screen had gone blue and said to shut off the camera.

When I put the two 32GB cards into our card reader this morning and launched FCP 6.0.6 - Log and Transfer the Spanned file played fine in the viewer, but would not transfer if place in the queue.

I was able to trick FCP into transferring the files Incomplete by only putting one card into the reader at a time and will stitch the files together in my timeline.

This leads me to believe that the error happened when the camera was done writing one clip and was trying to start a new one.

Has anyone had this problem, and how did you fix it? Or at least try to prevent it in the future? We've got Firestores, so we'll probably use them as backups, but if the cards have become corrupt, I'm not sure I'll know how to detect that.

Any advice?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HVX200AP Stopped Suddenly
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:51:14 pm

Kinda hard to say- the operator needs to keep an eye on the camera at all times. Otherwise you have no way of knowing whether the hot swap caused the issue or it was a coincidence.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Rachel Wiederhoeft
on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:57:28 pm

Right, well, no general thoughts? I'm guessing from more discussion with her that it did happen during the hot swap, but that's a 90% guess as to when it happened.

I'm afraid to send the intern out with the cards again until I know (in theory) what happened, but maybe we'll just have to trial and error our way through?

Return to posts index

Alex D'Eath
on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:23:27 pm

I once had this problem when we first started our HVX and we were conducting interviews. I tried to pull a card that was full during an interview and I didn't depress the eject button fully. When I got back to our offices later and tried to ingest it would not work. There was a corrupt file somewhere in there. I ended up opening all the folders and found that the camera had tried to create a new clip on the full card. It had created some but not all of the necessary files for a complete clip. Once I determined what was going on I deleted the individual files from the folders and was able to capture with no lost data. I have only had that problem once and that was over 2 years ago. Open all the individual folders and make sure that each clip has all the corresponding files.

Alex D'Eath
alex@spacecityfilms.com
Operations Manager
Space City Films, Inc
Above... & Beyond

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]