FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Recording - P2 Storage Options

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Kane
Live Recording - P2 Storage Options
on Jan 5, 2009 at 4:23:12 pm

Hello,

I am in need of some suggestions. My company will be recording a live seminar/conference later this month. I will be shooting a wide & tight of a speaker on stage for 4 hours continuously, using a Panasonic HPX-500 & HPX-170. The 500 will be tight, the 170 wide. I'll be shooting 720/24p. The remaining 4 hours will consist of shooting interviews in a separate location with the same cameras. I will have about 1 hour (during lunch) to transition our setup from the main conference room to the interview room. My question is what is going to be the best way to capture footage? I have (4) 16GB P2 cards. Obviously that won't be enough to record the entire footage. The options I've considered is either renting (2) Firestore drives and capture everything to those for the entire day or rent (8) 32GB cards to capture everything with the 2 cameras. The 2 Firestore drives were my first consideration based on rental price and less work on changing cards.

I enjoy using P2 and have shot with it for about 2 months. I just haven't had much experience with long continuously recording. Any thoughts or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time in reading the post. Make it a good one.

Best,

Wes

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Live Recording - P2 Storage Options
on Jan 5, 2009 at 10:08:04 pm

There are a lot of posts about off-loading P2 cards to a hard drive. With a MBPro, FW800 mirrored RAID drive and Duel adaptor we can offload with Shotput P2 a 16GB card without verification in about 8 minutes and 12 minutes with. If you have a dedicated person to do those transfers, that could work. Although, you might want to rent two more cards to give you some breathing room. After the cards are transferred AND verified, you can format them and plug them back into the 500 and keep rotating cards.

Just be sure to verify each offload. We actually play a few seconds of each offloaded clip with HD Log even after Shotput verifies. If you do something wrong you've lost your footage.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Jan 5, 2009 at 11:19:25 pm

Go the Firestore route. I use it for 3-4 hour performance events all the time. No swapping out P2 cards and dumping data during intermission! Also use the Quicktime mode and not the P2 mode.
You (or your editor) will thank you later!

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Wes Kane
on Jan 6, 2009 at 1:16:11 am

Wow Christopher, thanks for the information/confirmation. Much appreciated! Make it a good one.

Best,
Wes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]