FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spanned Files

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Osei-Gyimah
Spanned Files
on Dec 17, 2008 at 9:18:58 pm

Hey Guys
I am editing a documentary which is being shot on the Panasonic HVX-200 using P2 cards, the format we using in 720P DVC Pro. When I download the footage from the cards to an external hard drive and then try and bring the footage in to my FCP project using transfer and log, there is always one file which is categorized as being a spanned file.

I have spoken to the Cinematographer and can confirm from being on set myself that they are only shooting with one P2 card at a time, in fact on this most recent shoot we cut early so as not to completely fill up the card completely, and yet a file still ended up being spanned. I cannot bring these files in to the project and do not have other files to marry them with in the log and transfer tool, which is a solution I have read previously on this site.

I would really appreciate any help any one can give me

Edward Osei-Gyimah
http://www.cabdriverfilm.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Spanned Files
on Dec 17, 2008 at 10:57:29 pm

IN the L&T window, does it say SPANNED or INCOMPLETE? Spanned means that it has found the second part of the footage and has connected them. INCOMPLETE means that the second part is missing. Since the cards are formatted as Fat32, they have a 4GB limit. So if you have an 8GB card or larger, and a long shot, then the footage is spanned between two clips on the card.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edward Osei-Gyimah
on Dec 18, 2008 at 12:29:09 am

Hey Shane
I get both (Spanned) and (incomplete), but more (Spanned) than (incompletes). As I said we only ever use one card at a time and this keeps happening and it's pretty important interview footage.

There appears to be no T/C when the clip is displayed in the L&T window and when I click add these selections to the Que, it brings up the stop sign.

Edward Osei-Gyimah
http://www.cabdriverfilm.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 18, 2008 at 1:30:28 am

THis help?

#36 - One or More P2 files failed to import.

Shane's Stock Answer #36 - "One or more clips failed to import..."

Very often in the field with this camera the camera operator will delete clips from the P2 card that they just don't like. That is the beauty of this camera. But, the still for that video file (located in the CLIP folder in the CONTENTS folder)...the still that you see when you are in the P2 Import window...is not deleted. So you will see the image, and the name, but the video file would have been deleted.

What you can do it compare the file names in the VIDEO folder and CLIP folder and see if anything is missing. If something is, then you know what the problem is. You can then just import the rest a few at time, skipping that one.

ALSO...in the P2 Import window...in the P2 Browser, there is a little sprocket drop down menu. Click on that and choose PREFERENCES. Uncheck REMOVE PULLDOWN and then try importing again.

ALSO...make sure your file names aren't too long. Try shortening them and see if that works.

Shane

Return to posts index

Eric Holzapfel
on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:13:20 pm

Attention Shane!
I just watched your handy tutorial on FCP "Log and Transfer" for P2 cards. It was helpful to say the least. But I would like to know how you connect your P2 card(s) to the MAC. (hopefully not a laptop).
I have a Mac Pro, not a laptop, and would like to avoid connecting the camera to access the P2 clips. I did notice you had some sort of P2 icon on your screen.

Eric

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 19, 2008 at 5:19:12 pm

[Eric Holzapfel] "But I would like to know how you connect your P2 card(s) to the MAC. (hopefully not a laptop)."

Sorry...it is a laptop. And older one. I have a Powerbook G4 that I keep JUST for this task. It has a PCMCIA slot that the P2 card fits right into and it mounts on the desktop. There is an adapter made for the P2 to work on a MacBook Pro (also laptop)...a P2 to Express34 adapter.

Getting a P2 card into a tower? That requires more expensive solutions. Either the camera (why do you want to avoid this?) or other P2 device like the P2 Gear ($4500) that can also act as an output device to an HD monitor, 5 card P2 reader ($2,000) or P2 Mobile (very spendy).

The reason P2 is centered around a laptop is because of the need to dump the cards in the field...get the footage off so you can reuse the card asap. MacPro towers aren't really FIELD friendly.

In the tutorial I used a laptop.

Shane

Return to posts index

Eric Holzapfel
on Dec 19, 2008 at 11:41:56 pm

Hello Shane,

Shoot! I was afraid of that (a laptop that is). Good move on keeping the old laptop.
I have a friend that has an old one, maybe I can get him to "loan" it.
Certainly, due the price of the other equipment, firewire and my HVX win that one.

Thanks for helpful tutorials,

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Harnden
on Dec 29, 2008 at 12:42:28 am

I'd like to add an option that might help some people. Use a PC laptop that has a PCMCIA card slot and 1394 port and an external firewire hard drive as an intermediary between your P2 camera and your final editing Mac tower.

The workflow goes like this. Insert the P2 card into the PC's card slot. Copy the P2 cards (in their entirety, as I'm sure is covered in Shane's tutorials) to the laptop hard drive or the external hard drive. Copy the files from the laptop hard drive to the external hard drive (if you haven't got them their already). Take the external HD to your tower and log and transfer or copy to your editing HD and then edit.

The rub lies in the formatting of the external hard drives used. And here is where I am happy with using MyBooks as external (transport and secondary backup copy) drives. and only here, as I don't trust them beyond this. MyBooks come formatted as Fat32, so they are easily read on the PC automatically and they are cheap. My G-Tech isn't recognized by my PC laptop, 'cause it's formatted as Mac OS extended. I find that my Mac G4 tower reads them as well, formatted just as they are. So they work as the perfect transport HD from that PC laptop to my Mac tower.

I'm big on having redundant data, so I like to have multiple copies of everything around and the MyBook, while having a bad reputation, works good as an additional backup, and I stress ADDITIONAL backup. The 1TB MyBooks that I get at my Costco have USB, FW400, FW800 and eSATA for $139. Makes for handy data transfer with whatever connections you've got. Heck, in a pinch, you might even be able to get away with copying the data via USB!

Additional notes: I haven't run into the file size limitation that you might run into with Fat32 formatting, so you should keep that in mind.

I've since moved on to a MBP and Duel adapter, but the above got me through my P2 HD class and helped a lot of other students get there data off their P2 cards as well. Plus it's a lot cheaper than some of the other solutions. Hope this might help some others too.

Return to posts index

Eric Harnden
on Dec 30, 2008 at 3:43:01 am

Slight correction, those drives come with USB, FW400 and eSATA only, not FW800.

Return to posts index

jason stern
on Dec 31, 2008 at 2:22:52 pm

Shane - I am having a similar problem. I shot a live concert and I have a 43 minute clip on my p2 card. I also have several smaller clips. the smaller clips ingest fine, the large ones are the only ones that don't.

I've heard a few times about the fat32 limitations with file size. does this mean that unless I put the footage on a mac formatted drive those files are useless?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Angelica Brisk
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:44:39 am

Hi Shane
I've been reading about Spanned files all day and you are consistently the one answering the posts. Only problem is my FCP (FCP 5.14 I believe) is not doing what I you are describing it should do. I can't switch to FCP 6 right now because I am finishing a doc and shouldn't mess with that footage, but I'm also working on this new project with a P2 camera for the first time. By the time I have to edit this P2 project I can switch to whatever version of FCP works best.

The project was shot 720p HD 60. The clips are long clips on single cards. I no longer have the cards, just copies of the archives. L &T is listing the clips as SPANNED not INCOMPLETE. I can watch through them from beginning to end in the preview window of P2 import menu before ingesting then ask it to ingest and it takes approx 9.5 minutes and stops. At the end of those 9.5 clips I have digital garbage.
I have gone to the preferences and unchecked REMOVE PULLDOWN

3 questions:
1. is there a simple way to get viewable, transcribable footage to my client without FCP
2. is there a work around for the FCP problem I'm having
3. What settings should the project be in. I did easy set up HD 720p60 and it requires that I render the images so that doesn't seem correct.

Thanks for any suggestions you and others might have.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:57:53 am

Ahhhh....how is the drive you are using as your media drive formatted? It sounds like it is hitting the 4GB limit of Fat32. Your media drives need to be formatted MacOS Extended...there is no file limit, so it can handle all the spanned files. Each file on P2 is 4GB max, as the P2 cards use a FAT32 style format.

Shane

Return to posts index

Angelica Brisk
on Jun 30, 2009 at 7:23:23 pm

yes indeed I think you are correct. The drive I did my original P2 test on was formatted correctly, but I ran out of space so I used another drive without thinking about the formatting. I'll be doing a little clean up and switching stuff around.

Thanks,
Angélica

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]