FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC-intra vs DVCPRO HD

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tinx chan
AVC-intra vs DVCPRO HD
on Oct 8, 2008 at 2:49:42 pm

How much difference in compression and quality is there between AVC-I and DVCPRO HD? I understand there are two modes for AVC-i, and you can shoot at 100mbps for one of them-- so what's the actual diff?

Thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Shane Ross
Re: AVC-intra vs DVCPRO HD
on Oct 8, 2008 at 3:52:42 pm

DVCPRO HD is an 8-bit codec. And 1080i pixel dimensions are 1280x1080.

AVCIntra is a 10-bit codec...thousands more colors and steps between black and white. And the cameras that shoot that format do full raster 1920x1080. Although you can shoot a lower quality AVCI as well, to conserve space.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 8, 2008 at 4:28:30 pm

AVC-Intra totally rocks. Higher image quality than DVCPROHD when at the same bitrate, etc. Only real issue is support on NLEs and the additional horsepower needed to play it back. But that's improving every day. It's the Codec of the Futureā„¢.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Oct 9, 2008 at 2:57:11 pm

Yes, top agree with Noah, it double totally rocks. We shot some comparison footage with our HPX2000 after we got the intra board installed, and its the akin to the difference between DV25 and DV50, especially when doing effects and color correction. Only issue with me is that it is Intel Macs only. (Sad clown) But, we've had some good months lately, and the leases on our current computers is coming due at the end of next month, so we will probably be getting a new batch of computers (and promise raids) so, we will all be Intel and start shooting avc-intra (Happy Clown!)

Until then, its DVCPROHD...

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Oct 14, 2008 at 7:02:31 am

What cameras support this new codec? IS the HPX-170 one of them? SOunds like the codec that I want but would love to see it in a small camera. like the hvx200a and hpx170

Thanks!

-Lars

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 14, 2008 at 7:12:59 am

Only the HPX-2000 (with upgrade) and the HPX-3000 (standard) support this format. And the 2700 and 3700. The smaller cameras do not support this format.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rick Dervisevic
on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:02:51 am

Shane
Thanks for that very useful way of defining the difference between 8 bit and 10 bit. I;ve always struggled with the specifics that define the difference between the two. I knew 10 bit was richer but I didnt know in what way exactly.

Rick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]