Audio input to HPX 3000

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maloney
Audio input to HPX 3000
on Apr 2, 2008 at 9:37:09 pm

Hello all,

What's new in wireless camera links??

With the upcoming XDCAM HD 2/3 inch and the 3000 already in the market the sound recordists that work for us are looking for direction in purchasing new mixers/camera links that can send more than two channels wirelessly.

Which manufacturers are leading the way in servicing the capabilities of these new cameras.

Ideally I would like four diversity channels in the wireless slot of my 3000!!!!

Best

Tim Maloney
Axis Films Australia

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Audio input to HPX 3000
on Apr 3, 2008 at 2:48:56 am

Hi Tim,

Well, as a production sound mixer AND videographer, I'll give it to you as good news/bad news: The good news is that the major companies that make wireless systems, Lectrosonics, Zaxcom, Audio Technica, and Sony all have new dual-channel, true diversity, slot receivers, out. That's where one receiver can receive two independent signals from audio transmitters. The bad news, is that the 3000, like all cameras still only have two audio inputs (three if you count the front mic), even though, they can record up to eight tracks of audio. There was a big discussion on this over on the professional audio forum, too. And no matter what anyone posts here or tells you, there is NO WAY to record more than two totally independent (un-mixed) tracks of audio on any currently produced camera.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 3, 2008 at 2:50:58 am

Hi Tim,

Well, as a production sound mixer AND videographer, I'll give it to you as good news/bad news: The good news is that the major companies that make wireless systems, Lectrosonics, Zaxcom, Audio Technica, and Sony all have new dual-channel, true diversity, slot receivers, out. That's where one receiver can receive two independent signals from audio transmitters. The bad news, is that the 3000, like all cameras still only have two audio inputs (three if you count the front mic), even though, they can record up to eight tracks of audio. There was a big discussion on this over on the professional audio forum, too. And no matter what anyone posts here or tells you, there is NO WAY to record more than two totally independent (un-mixed) tracks of audio on any currently produced camera.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Apr 3, 2008 at 5:38:09 am

[David Jones] "And no matter what anyone posts here or tells you, there is NO WAY to record more than two totally independent (un-mixed) tracks of audio on any currently produced camera."

Maybe there's some sound-guy high-tech reason why I'm mistaken, but I own an HPX-500 and it does indeed have 4 channels and 4 inputs... can you explain what you mean?

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 3, 2008 at 3:26:21 pm

There are indeed, four channels of audio, but their are only two inputs you can use at once; in other words, you can't, for example, use the wireless slot for channels 1 & 2, and the two rear XLR inputs as 3 & 4. You CAN record four channels of sound but it's done in a mirror sort of way.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Apr 3, 2008 at 4:09:44 pm

[David Jones] "There are indeed, four channels of audio, but their are only two inputs you can use at once; i"

Hopefully you have time to elaborate, because I'm confused...

I have the HPX-500 and it has 4 discrete inputs. Two Front inputs which can routed to any of the 4 channels, and two Rear inputs which route to channels 3 or 4 (your choice).

We have recorded 4 independent sources - fishpole shotgun, stand shotgun and a dual-channel wireless - and I'm still not really sure what you mean. No 'built-on' mic on this camera.

In addition, we have a JVC DY-90 D9 camera which has 4 channels of audio, and although we only have a 2-channel deck this camera does have three discrete inputs and a fourth channel married to the built-on mic.

- - -

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 3, 2008 at 6:18:57 pm

I stand corrected on the 500; there are indeed two inputs on the front; the 2000/3000 has one 5-pin. Based on all cameras before the p2's, you could never have more than two independent channels of audio (the Sony BVV-5 was the only exception). As to the original question here: in terms of the wireless slot, there's no way to have more than two independent channels. This is something that would have to be changed by the camera manufactures, first. Then, maybe companies like, Lectrosonics will come up with a four channel receiver...we can only hope :o)

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Apr 3, 2008 at 11:58:57 pm

[David Jones] "I stand corrected on the 500; there are indeed two inputs on the front; the 2000/3000 has one 5-pin."

Ahh... gotcha.

Well then, as of now am officially entertaining offers to trade my FOUR CHANNEL HPX-500 for a mere 3 channel HPX-3000. I'm sure there are other people out there who could put that extra channel to better use! =)

-Adam

- - -

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 3, 2008 at 2:55:04 am

Hi Tim,

Return to posts index

Tim Maloney
David I get it!!
on Apr 3, 2008 at 5:27:08 am

OK so the slot is capable of two channels, losing the camera mike and applying a y cord gets me two more - but its an ugly fit out.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]