FORUMS: list search recent posts

re: Archiving - blu-ray burner for Mac pro

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Attila Alpman
re: Archiving - blu-ray burner for Mac pro
on Feb 16, 2008 at 5:37:56 am

hi all,
some time ago i saw a post that someone was going to get an internal burner for a macbook (pro?) - walter biscardi, i think.

Has anybody got some info on whether it is worth buying one now?
... and use it with FCS2?

I'm supposed to put together an archive of probably way above 200 hours and don't want to dump it all on hard drives or downgrade it to tape.

I'm shooting mostly on 720 24p both on 32gig cards and on the 160gig firestore, so archiving (and perhaps later authoring) on an internal blu-ray burner would be great.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: re: Archiving - blu-ray burner for Mac pro
on Feb 16, 2008 at 7:31:52 am

Lot of hassle to install plus you might void the warranty. I'd stick with an external one.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Attila Alpman
on Feb 16, 2008 at 10:39:28 am

are there any you would recommend?

also: what would be the best procedure (or software) for burning the blu-ray as a) data (MXF or QT) and b) film ready to view on blu-ray players?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 16, 2008 at 1:59:03 pm

We got one from Other World Computing that has worked well...

WE use Toast to burn Data

Encore if you want to author DVDs...

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 17, 2008 at 4:31:37 am

If you are looking for archiving your not going to beat the VXA-320 firewire tape drive.

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?568696

This is not a video tape back up system so you are not down grading anything. Instead you get 160 gigs of storage on a $55 tape. You can freeze the tapes, drop in hot coffee and they will work just fine. The tapes are not as fragile as Blue Ray discs are. I too thought Blue Ray was the thing I wanted but this is much better for archiving. No swapping out discs and it burns 160 gigs in one go.

I have it and love it. After using this drive I will never use Blue Ray for archiving.

My 2 cents.

-Lars

Return to posts index

Attila Alpman
on Feb 18, 2008 at 6:58:58 am

Thanks a lot,
My dealer just convinced me to go with more HD and is offering me very good rates for a big RAID setup.
The VXA certainly sounds great, but i would have to buy two drives as we work out of two offices plus tapes, and it seems that for the next year or so, it'll be cheaper to use two big stationary RAIDs and two portable HDs.
Hoping that there could be few more options later this year ...

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Feb 19, 2008 at 10:57:26 pm

There's a much bigger cost up front, but we've been using LTO-3 and I love it. 400GB for under $50. It's been such a relief be able to back up P2 footage and entire finished shows and all of the project files. It's really been worth it for us.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Mar 25, 2008 at 1:50:16 am

I'll second that one...LTO-3's price per gig and long term reliability is hard to beat. Not a great mobile solution though. I have the LTO-3A but I wouldn't try to travel with it.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]