FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I edit AVC-Intra natively in FCP yet?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Lasson
Can I edit AVC-Intra natively in FCP yet?
on Nov 27, 2007 at 11:14:29 pm

What's the current status with AVC-Intra and FCP? I've heard that the Log and Transfer works to ProRes, but can I edit AVC-Intra in FCP natively yet? If so, where can I get the codec?

Does anyone know if native editing support is in the plan or will I always have to transcode to a different codec.

In FCP 6.0.2 release notes, it says:

- AVC-Intra footage must be transcoded to the Apple ProRes 422 codec.

- An AVC-Intra codec, available from Panasonic, must be installed.

What's all the talke about getting the codec from Panasonic?

Thanks!

-Russ

Return to posts index

bennettvista
Re: Can I edit AVC-Intra natively in FCP yet?
on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:35:35 am

I've spent all day trying to get the AVC Intra footage out of my HPX3000 into FCP2. The only method that I've made work (shooting at 23.98P) is to go out of the SDI port on the camera (switching the video out to VBS) and into my Kona 3 SDI port. You have to create a new set-up in the FC capture presets - setting the input to 29.97, but capturing at 23.98. I was able to take it in as anything I wanted (DVCProHD, ProRes 422, etc...) This was the only way I found to avoid having the terrible interlaced frames. I still cannot import DVCPro HD true 23.98 from the camera's P2 cards. The images end up being 29.97 with terrible looking pulldown and interlacing as I move through it frame by frame. I'm new to Panasonic having shot mostly with the Sony Cinealta F900 at 23.98 in which I never encountered problems when importing to Final Cut. I really hope Panasonic and Apple work this out to create an easy workflow. If anyone has some ideas how to input DVCPro HD 23.98 from P2 and get clips that are true 23.98 and not 29.97 inside Final Cut, I'd love to know how. No one seems to know at AbelCine or at Panasonic either. Thanks.

Return to posts index

bennettvista
on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:36:00 am

I've spent all day trying to get the AVC Intra footage out of my HPX3000 into FCP2. The only method that I've made work (shooting at 23.98P) is to go out of the SDI port on the camera (switching the video out to VBS) and into my Kona 3 SDI port. You have to create a new set-up in the FC capture presets - setting the input to 29.97, but capturing at 23.98. I was able to take it in as anything I wanted (DVCProHD, ProRes 422, etc...) This was the only way I found to avoid having the terrible interlaced frames. I still cannot import DVCPro HD true 23.98 from the camera's P2 cards. The images end up being 29.97 with terrible looking pulldown and interlacing as I move through it frame by frame. I'm new to Panasonic having shot mostly with the Sony Cinealta F900 at 23.98 in which I never encountered problems when importing to Final Cut. I really hope Panasonic and Apple work this out to create an easy workflow. If anyone has some ideas how to input DVCPro HD 23.98 from P2 and get clips that are true 23.98 and not 29.97 inside Final Cut, I'd love to know how. No one seems to know at AbelCine or at Panasonic either. Thanks.

Return to posts index

jimdumm
on Nov 28, 2007 at 5:33:04 pm

It is not possible to import AVC-Intra into FCP (even via ProRes) at present. The Panasonic codec is not yet available and until them FCP can't understand AVC Intra.

Panasonic are apparently promising the codec within 7 to 14 days. But, then, where have I heard that before...

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

bennettvista
on Nov 28, 2007 at 6:23:50 pm

Not true - I am editing it as we speak. I took it in as both ProRes422 (HQ) and DVCPro HD at 23.98 to test and it works fine. You must take it in through SDI out of the camera and go into a Kona 3 (or maybe Blackmagic card?). You obviously can't take in the footage using the P2 cards yet.

Return to posts index

jimdumm
on Nov 28, 2007 at 6:14:35 pm

Apologies. Yes, of course you are correct. I meant that you cannot import to FCP via the 'Log and Transfer' function until this Panasonic codec is released.

Jim

Return to posts index

bennettvista
on Nov 28, 2007 at 9:27:51 pm

Just found out that Panasonic will release the AVC Intra codec plug in for Mac by the end of next week.

Return to posts index

jimdumm
on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:51:32 am

I just started a new thread on the subject, but is there any sign of the promised codec download yet?

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]